Friday, September 4, 2009

We are Blessed

I have to take a moment to reflect on all the love and support we've received through this most difficult time in our lives. We are blessed to have an amazing family.

Dave's sister, Carol, is busy with three kiddos of her own and one on the way. Yet she always keeps in touch and is constantly sending little gifts for Solana and the twins. My sister, Leticia, is my ever vigilant prayer warrior and support person. I owe many days of sanity to her relentless phone calls. And my mother has put her life on hold to spend most of the last two months in Ohio helping us survive my bedrest and now the challenge of NICU. And Dave. I thank God every day for such a wonderful husband. He has been through all of this right along side me and yet, manages to take care of Solana and me physically and emotionally. Some people credit me with being "strong" through all of this but I am such a mess. I wouldn't be much more than a soggy blob without Dave. I couldn't be a luckier girl.

But I already knew I was blessed with family and, as much as they have come through for me in such amazing ways, I'm not terribly surprised.

What has surprised me is the amount of love and support we've received from strangers and new friends. Who knew that Facebook would be the vehicle to send hundreds (or possibly thousands) of prayers heaven-bound for our twins and now for Chloe? Many times I stared at Facebook in amazement at all the messages from friends and friends of Leticia. Beautiful, supportive, and loving messages. And who knew that there are so many other TTTS mothers out there on the TTTS Foundation website? Their stories and experience have been invaluable to me on this journey and I honestly would feel lost and alone without them. I'm so thankful for all of those wonderful prayers and blessings.

And then there are our new Ohio friends. Friends we've only known a few short months but who have treated us like family. How is it possible that we surrounded ourselves with such amazing people right before our time of need? I'll tell you what. I stopped asking myself "why" this happened to us because I don't believe that it was God's plan or hand that took our baby girl, Leila, away from us. And I don't think that God intended for Chloe to be born premature and struggle to survive in the NICU for months. I think sometimes bad things just happen to good people (there's actually a good book with this title). TTTS is a completely random biological phenomenon that can happen to anyone. We did nothing to bring this on ourselves nor were we chosen to hurt. What I DO believe, though, is that we are blessed by God to be surrounded by people whose hearts have been touched by Him. He saw our pain, heard our prayers, and filled their hearts with generosity.

Thank you to all of you who have prayed for Chloe and Leila. Thank you for reaching out and touching us with your kindess. Each prayer, message, and generous act of kindness has lifted my spirit and I will ever be grateful for that.

1 comment: