Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 37 - Working on it

Chloe is receiving 1cc of milk every six hours and before giving her each feeding they are checking her belly to pull out any milk remaining from the last feeding. Fortunately, there hasn't been any milk left in her stomach so far. This is good but we're not yet at a point to congratulate ourselves and celebrate. The doctor explained to me that this tiny amount of milk is not going to give Chloe calories or nutrition. Its purpose is to remind her stomach how to work and get it started again without overdoing it. They should increase frequency tomorrow to every three hours. Until feedings are increased we don't know if the milk will make it all the way through her intestines. We need to watch several more feedings and wait. Please keep praying hard! So far so good...

In addition, they are trying to push her lungs and get her off the oscillator (just in case she needs to be transported). Please pray that her lungs can continue to handle the new oscillator settings.

Thank you friends!

3 comments:

  1. Soak it up Chloe! :-)

    I remember, when I was pregnant with Michael, getting the emails each week letting me know how big he was getting, what parts were developing, and what I could expect to be feeling. How close to God you must feel watching your baby develop in way that most people do not get to. I know this is a very difficult time for you, but I hope that you can find one bright spot in each day to celebrate (other than the huge fireball that is Chloe's life!). :-)

    Blessing and prayers continue to be with you, Chloe, Solana and Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhys was on the oscillator for six long weeks. At times I felt like they pushed him too hard because he would immediately protest and the settings would be cranked back up higher than they had been. But, the day finally came that he was back on the regular vent. He went to both CPAP and cannula without reverse progress, which amazed his doctors. I don't guess we gave him enough credit. :) I'm sure Chloe has a few more surprises up her sleeve for you before this is all over. Chloe and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see how it went today! I am so happy that she is over 5 weeks!!! I love seeing the pictures of all of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete