Today was Chloe's 5 week birthday. Yet another week with our beautiful little blessing. We spent lots of quality time together. Me humming. Her listening. I can't be more thankful for her. Such an amazing little angel. Dave got to hold her for the first time today during her isolette change. He looked so comfortable holding her. Not a bead of sweat formed on his face - not sure how he managed that. I'm a sweaty mess every time I get to hold her! In addition to her birthday Chloe's making another milestone today. She's completing what would have been 29weeks 6days gestation. She starts week 30 tomorrow!
Overall it was a good week. She's remained fairly stable and we've enjoyed relative calmness.
There is the issue of her belly, though. The doctor called Dave today and said he wanted to transport Chloe to Dayton's Children's hospital right away and begin tests to determine why she can't pass gas through her bowel. This raised a bunch of red flags for us. Transporting Chloe is pretty risky in itself considering her condition. Not to mention the risks that come with surgery on such a small baby. Then there's the fact that we weren't comfortable with the process that brought them to this decision. She's stable now and we didn't understand the sudden urgency. It seemed as though they wanted to transport her simply to fit the surgeon's schedule and save him a trip to Miami Valley Hospital! Dave quickly became Chloe's vehement and vocal advocate. Fortunately, Dave has no problem standing up for his daughter (in a forceful way that I don't think I could have managed) and Chloe was not transported.
Dave met with the surgeon ,who made the trip to visit Chloe and, after an assessment, decided he wanted to gather more information before moving her or performing any tests or surgery. The test and surgery, by the way, sound pretty horrible to me and I really really don't want them to happen. I'm trying so hard to be trusting and faithful. I know that everything will be all right in the end and I really want to avoid self pity. So many people and their babies have dealt with so much more than this. It's really challenging, though, to have your baby go through so much. Faith. Faith. Faith. Right?
If Chloe's intestines/bowels can fix themselves tonight then she won't have to go through these tests and surgery they're talking about. How about another miracle, God? What do you say?
Overall it was a good week. She's remained fairly stable and we've enjoyed relative calmness.
There is the issue of her belly, though. The doctor called Dave today and said he wanted to transport Chloe to Dayton's Children's hospital right away and begin tests to determine why she can't pass gas through her bowel. This raised a bunch of red flags for us. Transporting Chloe is pretty risky in itself considering her condition. Not to mention the risks that come with surgery on such a small baby. Then there's the fact that we weren't comfortable with the process that brought them to this decision. She's stable now and we didn't understand the sudden urgency. It seemed as though they wanted to transport her simply to fit the surgeon's schedule and save him a trip to Miami Valley Hospital! Dave quickly became Chloe's vehement and vocal advocate. Fortunately, Dave has no problem standing up for his daughter (in a forceful way that I don't think I could have managed) and Chloe was not transported.
Dave met with the surgeon ,who made the trip to visit Chloe and, after an assessment, decided he wanted to gather more information before moving her or performing any tests or surgery. The test and surgery, by the way, sound pretty horrible to me and I really really don't want them to happen. I'm trying so hard to be trusting and faithful. I know that everything will be all right in the end and I really want to avoid self pity. So many people and their babies have dealt with so much more than this. It's really challenging, though, to have your baby go through so much. Faith. Faith. Faith. Right?
If Chloe's intestines/bowels can fix themselves tonight then she won't have to go through these tests and surgery they're talking about. How about another miracle, God? What do you say?




Hello Hendrickson family. A reader on our blog, a friend of yours I believe, left a comment with your blog link. I haven't read your whole story, but what I have read about your girls tugs at my heart. Our twin boys were born at 23w5d. Bentley had an infection in the womb and passed away 13 hours after birth. Rhys took us on a 5.5 month NICU ride that (needless to say) has changed our lives forever. Rhys is now doing great as a 14 month old and has quite the personality. I do not remember life without a micro-preemie. These little guys are fighters and do amazing things. And, for what it's worth, I think your husband did the right thing in arguing on behalf of your daughter. You two are her only advocates right now and if you aren't comfortable with something you should certainly speak your mind. You DO have a say in her care, even though I know it doesn't always feel like it. You guys are in our prayers. God bless! Candice
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful Cyndi! I love the pic of Solana looking in at Chloe! Sending prayers your way.
ReplyDelete