Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 23 - Close. Close. Close.

This morning the doctor said that Chloe's doing well. The discharge from her incision is "minimal" and the gas patterns in her belly are "perfect." Her oxygen levels are fine and her blood pressure is good enough to discontinue her dopamine. She feels that the hole in Chloe's intestine is closing and plans to do an ink test on Monday to confirm it's closed and begin feedings on Tuesday. Of course, she said this all straight-faced and without an ounce of emotion. She's a doctor and can't react like a giddy schoolgirl - which is the way I feel upon hearing this report! Can it really be so? I look at Chloe and she looks good. Maybe even bigger than a week ago. Yes! It is so!

We had a couple of small setbacks today. They tried to move Chloe up from the oscillator to the regular respirator. That lasted two hours and she couldn't handle it so they changed her back. Then they weaned her off of dopamine but her blood pressure and urine output both went down so they put her back on a tiny bit of dopamine. My first reaction is to be nervous but I somehow turned away from those feelings today. It's almost like a physical thing. I'm calm. Chloe's good and I have faith and trust. Her job is to grow and be with us. I just know it.

I thought about Leila a lot today. I took her urn to the funeral home and they gave it back to me with her ashes. With Chloe's scare this week I realized I haven't cried for Leila in days. I felt guilty about that when I realized it. Could I be forgetting about her already? No, of course not. I'm thinking about her now and what she did for us during her short time on earth. She kept Chloe company for six short months and now she's watching over her from above. I think she brings me calmness and reminds me of how much I can love. My sweet gentle beautiful girl.

I'm thinking about Solana, too, and trying to make sure she isn't forgotten in all this. She and I spent about four hours at the hospital today (with a one hour lunch/ice cream break). My first attempt at a visit with Solana since my mom left. I purchased Bendarooz at Walgreens right before we went. A very well spent $20. She played with them the whole time we were there and was the most perfect 4 year-old hospital guest ever! The nurses were amazed and charmed but who can blame them? Chloe has some big shoes to fill. As much attention as she's already getting, though, I think she'll do just fine!

My girls are all amazing in their own way. They bring tears to my eyes just thinking about them. There couldn't be a luckier Mommy around.

5 comments:

  1. Cyndi, so much good news today! Chloe is moving at her own pace and doing so well. I know it's hard for you to see the small changes every day as big steps, but they are. Your girls are blessing, but so are you. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndi, I am a friend of Meredith Cobb's and she told me about your situation. Although we don't know each other, I just wanted to let you know I have been thinking of you and hoping for an uneventful and pain free NICU stay for Chloe. I am going to keep checking on you guys and praying hard.
    Jennifer Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, I am so pleased to see your faith shining thru in your daily posts. You ARE blessed and to realize that RIGHT now where you're at is pretty dang cool. HUGS! We'll continue our prayers for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyndi... I just wanted to let you know that it is okay not to cry about Leila everyday. Just because there aren't tears on your cheeks doesn't mean you don't love your little angel. I still have to tell myself this sometimes.

    As for Solana... she sounds like an amazing big sister. I don't know of many four year olds who could pull of a visit like she did, well done, Solana!

    You are all still in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls wanted those so badly... I didn't know you could get them at Walgreens! Solana is a sweetie, and I can totally picture how good she was! She is a wonderful big sister already!! :)

    ReplyDelete