Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 15 - Duct is Closed!

Praises! We had some good news today. The duct in Chloe's heart is closed! That and the fact that she doesn't have any bleeds on her brain are really good news. In addition, Dave and I both had some interaction with her. We didn't get to have an isolette change yesterday so we really appreciated today. I got to take her temperature and change her diaper. Dave also got to do those things plus he got to hold her in his hands while the nurse changed out her bedding. She's still really sensitive to stimulation so we rarely get to touch or hold her. These moments are so special to us.

Our main concern now is her lungs. She was born well before her lungs finished developing and the x-rays keep showing fluid in them. They have switched her back and forth on different respirators to try and find just the right balance to give her the help she needs. She's back on the oscillator today. This type of respirator gives her small quick breaths that keep her lungs open but don't stretch them out too much. Hopefully, it will help keep her oxygenated without creating too much scar tissue in her lungs.



Our next area of concern for the day is the fact that she's still not receiving any feedings. She's been on dopamine to assist with her blood pressure problems and can't receive any feedings while on dopamine. She needs to get some food in her belly to grow and really hasn't had an opportunity for food in her belly with everything else going on. Hopefully, they'll be able to wean her off the dopamine tonight and get some milk into her belly tomorrow.
Very very delicately changing Chloe's diaper. Her skin is so sensitive. I don't want to rub anything against it for fear of abrasion. Yes, my upper lip was sweaty...

Solana's getting a sneak peak at her sister.

Dave holds Chloe' in his hands as the nurse changes out her bedding. I'm pretty sure his fingers are thicker than her thighs.
My goodness she is tiny.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got some good news today! Prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. As another TTTS mom of a an angel and a survivor I want you to know I am thinking of you and praying for you as well. It is such a journey we've been chosen for and none of it makes much sense...I know.
    I pray that Chloe's journey in the NICU will be filled with many more ups than downs and that soon your family, though always missing one, will be together again in your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased that the duct is closed! Let's pray that it stays that way permanently! I hope this week brings much progress and improvement. We're so mean to expect so much of these little preemies! We want them to breathe, and eat, and poop, and pee and....

    One neo mentioned to me once that almost all brain bleeds happen in the first two weeks out of the womb (or still in the womb, or during delivery, etc.) Once in a while some happen in weeks 3-4, but it's virtually unheard of to happen after 4 weeks. If he's right, then you guys are in a really good place on the brain bleed situation!

    I hope the oscillator is good to her and that she releases that fluid! She is soooooo tiny! And soooooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Kelly: "Is that my sweet little baby cousin?"
    and
    "Hey, I like the polka dots!" (the background...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a mom of an angel and a survivor. We lost our Leah and welcomed Daphne in March at 27w4d. Daphne was in the NICU for 5 months and had many of the same issues sweet Chloe is facing. She sounds brave and strong. Please feel free to contact me at melissa.haber@gmail.com if you need anything. Your family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing those pictures! She is soooo sweet!! I'm so happy that you both got to hold and touch her!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an internet friend of Angela's. I've been following your family through her and wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Your daughters are so precious. You can't fully realize how tiny Chloe is until you see her being held. We will continue to pray for her and for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete