It's like a weird cosmic joke. I suddenly find myself surrounded by 1. Twins. I swear twins are everywhere! It seems like every time I turn around I find myself thinking, "Seriously?" How can there possibly be so many twins in my general viscinity? At least none of them have been identical girls. I'm not sure I could handle that. And 2. Pregnant women talking about how much they want to have their babies early. Now, I must admit, that in my life I have joked a time or two about how I wouldn't have minded if Solana had come a bit early so I completely understand where they're coming from and don't begrudge them these silly comments one bit. But, if you can imagine, I'm kind of sensitive to this line of talk right now and don't understand why I'm suddenly surrounded by it. When and how did early delivery become something I hear about on a daily basis? Like I said - cosmic joke.
Now, to important matters. Chloe's heart valve reopened. This is not good but they can give her some medicine to try and close it. The problem is that a side affect of this medicine is that it stops her from peeing. If she stops peeing then fluids will build up in her body and they'll probably accumulate in her lungs. They noticed some fluid in her lungs today and we really don't want that to continue so they gave her another drug that's like a water pill to try and encourage urination.
And get this. These drugs are going into her new IV that she got this morning because the one they put in yesterday (in her head) came out on it's own. Yes, I'm serious. BUT - - - they tell me that they got this new one (also in her head) in on the first try. Thank you Jesus!
Overall, I think this was a pretty good day for Chloe. While some things aren't going exactly as we want, many things are getting better. Her blood gasses look good, she's no longer acidic, her O2 was only around 55%, she's tolerating the nurses bother her better, the new IV is in the middle of her head so they were able to lay her on her right side and she seemed to like that, etc. And she turned 2 weeks old today completing what would have been week 26 in utero! Let's keep praying.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I'm praying for you and little Chloe! You guys must all be exhausted physically and emotionally... So happy she's 2 weeks!!! :)
ReplyDeleteThe ironies of life: I shared a NICU nook with only 4 other babies -- TWO SETS OF TWINS. Like you, at least none of them were identical twin boys! Twins are everywhere all of a sudden! Especially in the NICU...
ReplyDeleteUgh, you've seen already that the NICU is a delicate balancing act. Everything that helps makes something else worse! So frustrating! We're still praying for Chloe and we won't stop. Also praying that your nails will look pretty even when they are worn down to nubbins with the nervous nibbling :) TWO WEEKS DOWN!! Wahoo!!!! Inching forward... come on, you good little girl! Keep improving!
Hey Cyn. One thing I discovered when my daughter went through her ordeal was the most dedicated doctors and nurses were those who cared for premies. There is nothing like a baby fighting for its life to inspire people to hope and pray.
ReplyDeleteI hope, I pray.