Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day 97 - Doing Well at Beaumont

Chloe had a pretty quiet day today. I spoke to the neonatologists during rounds last night because it seemed like she was getting hungry right before her feedings. Maybe she needs more food? They must have agreed with me because they increased her feedings just a bit. I really think it helped. She wasn't nearly as fussy today as yesterday. She really is becoming a big girl, though. She needs her food to feed her big growing body. Guess how big she is.

3 pounds 10 ounces! Haha! She seems to be having a growth spurt this week! And I think it's especially shocking because she was weaned (pretty dramatically, I think) on her canula support.

Speaking of canula support...I think I mentioned that I've been a bit worried about her breathing over the past couple of days. It appears as though she's working harder. The neonatologist last night seemed comfortable with her effort. (And although he seemed slightly pompass to me, Chloe's nurse says he's her favorite. I really like her nurse so that gives him some street cred.) He also pointed out that 40% O2 setting on a 1.5 liter canula (what she's on now) is actually LESS O2 support than she was needing on her high flow! (It's a bit counterintuitive since her O2 was set at 25-30% but if you think about it - the "high flow" is giving her more air, thus, more O2). She actually looked a little more comfortable today than she did yesterday, too, so I hope she's just getting stronger.

So far I've held Chloe for 4 hours a day two days in a row! It's heaven! Two hours bundled up and two hours kangaroo. She had a hard time during kanga care last night. I think she was tired. Her oxengen setting was way up. But she did great tonight!

I took a dinner break around 4pm and went for a jog around the hospital. I figured 10 hours a day at Chloe's bedside isn't doing any favors to my rear end. I STILL can't fit into my regular pants! Bad, I know. Maybe I need to set a goal for myself and announce it to all my blog friends. So here I go. I will fit into my skinny jeans by the time Chloe comes home. It'll be like my pre-New Year's resolution! So back to my jog. Picture this. Michigan in November. It's cold. Me in black stretch pants, T-shirt, black ski cap, and sunglasses. I'm feeling really cool - like a real runner! It's 4pm so the sun is on its way down and I'm casting a shadow. I look over and see my jogging shadow. Is that me?!? My gait looks like an old lady speed walking! Not feeling so cool anymore! ;-) But at least I try, right? Hehe.

2 comments:

  1. You're hilarious, Cynthia! That must have been how I seemed trying to run with you this past summer! I'll have to go visit and challenge you now. Oh, how the tables have turned! :o) I don't think there's anything wrong with an early resolution- and if you're as stubborn as Chloe, you'll get it done, too!

    I'm saying a special prayer for tomorrow's eye exam! Let's get Chloe back to Ohio... Love you guys!

    -Leticia-

    ReplyDelete