As I walked out of the hospital the other day I ran into another mother that I had met at Miami Valley. We chatted about why we each had moved to Children's and I learned that her 5 month-old little girl moved over because she had to be trach'd. Of course, the first thing I thought was, "My nightmare from two weeks ago. She is living it," and felt soooo bad for her. But what stood out to me was how OK she was with it! She didn't start crying or seem defeated when she told me. Suddenly, I found myself transported into the position of other people who find out that I have a daughter in the NICU. I wondered, "How does she do it? Five months? Trach'd?" This really got me thinking. People sometimes ask me, "How do you do it?"
Before becoming the mother of a 1lb 7oz micropremie I could NEVER have imagined life as the mother of a micorpremie. I couldn't have even fathomed how the parents could bear to leave their babies in the hospital and go home or watch their child undergo hundreds of heel pricks, a dozen blood transfusions, multiple surgeries, weeks of intubation, etc. These things seemed nothing but a nightmare to me. I remember wondering how early my babies could be born without having to stay in the hospital because that would be my goal for keeping the twins inside. I didn't even want to leave them one single day.
Since becoming the mother of a 1lb 7oz micropremie I live one day at a time and can do nothing other than love my daughter, do everything and anything I can for her, and try to maintain a normal-as-possible life for myself and my family. I don't know 'how' I do it. I just do it. I don't exactly have a choice. And it's not over. We will certainly have new challenges to deal with and Chloe has more battles to fight. I don't know 'how' we will handle those but I know for certain that we will. We will square our shoulders and continue on in this new journey that we call "Life." We're not always graceful or elegant and we don't always know the right thing to say or the right way to act. We just keep trying to do our best and trying be the best we can be.
So I think maybe, while I really don't know how she does it, I know why she does it. She has no choice because she loves her daughter. And that's all she can do.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




First - yay Chloe!! Getting rid of those tubes, picking up the weight - keep at it girl!!
ReplyDeleteCyndi - beautiful post. No one knows what they can do until they are forced to do so. You are driven by strength, love, and the blessings of God. I am sure there are a hundred angels around that place - and not all of them wear white coats. :-) Your strength through this process has amazed me, but it doesn't surprise me. You, Dave, Solana, and Chloe are in this together - and Leila is too. You will come through this, because what other choice do you have? YOU, my dear, are an inspiration.
Blessed be,
Emily
I am catching up again on the blog!! I can't wait to see another picture of her with everything so free!!! So awesome that you have heard her and know so much about her!! It's awesome that she's 3 lbs now!!!! Oh, and I have a little present for you from my mom and I... we were out shopping and couldn't resist!! ;) Now, to get over this cold so that we can see you guys!!!
ReplyDeleteWell said! I believe that our Heavenly Father does not give us challenges that we cannot bear. I know that He gives us the strength that we need to get through the day. I know when we were going through our hospital experience, so many people would tell me that I had such a good attitue. Looking back, I did what I had to do to keep myself sane and keep from cracking and I know that Heavenly Father had a part in that. I always have to tell myself that what we have gone through is nothing compared to the trials of so many others and that makes me grateful and happy that we are where we are!
ReplyDeleteVery well put. I had a very good friend who had a 28-weeker 2 months before we started our NICU ride, and I can remember thinking how I would never ever be able to do what she did... Driving an hour to the hospital everyday to see a baby she couldn't hold... Hearing her alarms and seeing all the equipment... Looking back now, she had it "easy," with only a 50-day stay and no vent time... If the NICU can ever be considered easy!
ReplyDeleteBut when I got in my funks feeling so sorry for myself, God never let me stay there long before he showed me a family that was in a much worse situation than we were... And often they had a much better attitude about it than I did. It's always very humbling.
You guys are doing great. So proud of Miss Chloe, and you!
Perfectly put, and I am amazed that you have such clarity while you are still going through it. Chloe is a lucky baby!
ReplyDeleteVery very well said. I'll just ditto everyone else's comments :)
ReplyDelete