Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 84 - Chloe

Life is still good in Chloeland. Our little trooper is kicking bootie on her high flow. They started her at 5 liters (this measurement represents the speed/amount of air flowing into her nose through her canula and assisting her in keeping her airways open) and have already weaned her twice. She's now down to 3 liters and doing really well. She's also up to 4 extra calories of elecare and tolerating that well. They finally removed her pic and IV lines so all hands and feet are free of tape and wires. Between this and her tube-free mouth, transfer from her isolete for kangaroo-ing has become a breeze! (For some reason ALL the respiratory therapists are men at this NICU. Their assistance during transfer created slightly akward moments for me as I tried to keep myself covered while the nurse placed Chloe on my bare chest...)

We are just loving these good days and feeling soooo appreciative for them! We're learning new things about Chloe, too!


1. She really REALLY loves her pacifier. I only hope she's not burning too many calories crying for that thing while I'm not there to pop it back in for her.

2. She really REALLY hates dirty diapers. Apparently, she was so comfortable during kangaroo-ing yesterday that she filled her diaper, which effectively ended kangaroo time. She was so upset that there was nothing I could do to console her. She was crying her oh-so-sad little cry (I can't believe I was ever excited to hear that! What was I thinking? It just tears me up to hear that tiny little cry! BUT...it is good that she's finally communicating with us...) After a few minutes of trying everything I could think of I finally decided to put her back and we checked her diaper. Yep. It was full of poop. She continued her little tantrum until her diaper was changed. Someone told me that her hatred of dirty diapers will mean easier potty training... (I wish!) So far, three different nurses have told me that Chloe did fantastic during their shift. Her only episodes were high heart rates due to crying episodes when she has a dirty diaper. If those are her only bad moments I am very pleased.


Chloe is:
13 weeks old today
37 weeks gestation tomorrow
3lb 1oz (she lost a few ounces when they removed her pic and iv lines :-(

1 comment:

  1. She is doing amazing! I remember when Darbi came off her ventilator, it seemed like so many things were happening so fast. She was gaining weight faster, changing into new beds, and breathing better! Just wait.. when she's ready to come home it happens just as fast. We weren't even expecting a discharge date and suddenly it felt like they were pushing us out the door! It's a great feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete