Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 83 - Three Pounder

I've been waiting to say this for so long... Chloe is now over 3 pounds! Yeah! It took long enough, but she's finally there :-) 3.2 pounds to be precise. The doctors are a bit concerned with her slow weight gain over the past couple of weeks. They stopped her feeds twice during that time, though (once because of fortifier intolerance and second for eye surgery), and she dropped weight both times. I think she'll start putting on weight more now that she doing well with feeds and not fighting her tube. They did increase her feeds from 8.5 to 9cc's per hour. This is 7.3 ounces per day. Chloe's done so well the past few days that I feel greedy asking for more but let's pray that she continues to grow and improve her lung function. She also has her first follow-up eye exam on Monday or Tuesday so we must not forget about that. They said it would be two weeks before they would really know if another surgery is needed. A good report on her first exam would be nice, though, don't you think?

Last night's visit was interesting. It started with me lifting the cover to Chloe's isolette and immediatly witnessing her (laying on her belly) lift head and shoulders and roll off her little belly pad. What the...? What kinds of steroids did they give this baby? Apparently, she was upset about losing her pacifier (her new best friend since the tubes are gone) and expressing herself with a little tantrum. She continued through her care. I think I was staring wide eyed and mouth agape into the isolette as the nurse completed her care and was shaken from my trance when she asked, "Do you want to change her diaper?" Usually, I'm all over that but this wild little creature kind of scared me. "I'm not sure!" (Giggling) Fortunately, I managed to Mommy-handle my little wild thing enough to get her diaper on (albeit sloppily...thank goodness there was no poop!) Hmmm. "I wonder if she'll let me hold her," I started to worry. But once again Chloe stroked my Mommy-ego. As soon as we took her flailing little body out of the isolette and placed her on my chest it was like we flipped a switch. Immediate stillness. She was a happy little kangaroo and didn't so much as twitch for two solid hours. Little stinker. I can't even say how happy she makes me. Keep up the good work baby doll!

1 comment: