The Opthamologist examined Chloe's eyes this morning and was "encouraged" because her right eye looks "dramatically better." He still sees some blood in her left eye and will be back to check them again on Monday. He said that a future procedure is still a possibility but no trips to Michigan for now. I'll take this. We could have gotten a much worse report! I called Dave at work to let him know and heard him take a big breath and let it out in a big sigh of relief. That's exactly how I feel. We've been on pins and needles the last couple of days. Now we can put off our next worry session until Sunday or so.
Chloe's still hanging in there on her high flow. They had reduced her to 2 liters flow on her nasal canula but I noticed that she was breathing extremely fast when I was holding her Sunday night. She appeared to be restful and wasn't fussing or anything. She was just consistently breathing 90-110 breaths per minute. This concerned me since she lost weight Sunday. Breathing 110 breaths per minute is HARD! I tried to breathe along with her as I held her and couldn't even keep up for one minute. I was pooped! The nurse practitioner kind of laughed when I told that. She said that babies naturally breathe three times faster than adults. There are just certain things that they can still do that we can't (like hold their breath until their O2 saturation drops below 90% - our bodies just won't let us do that) so while it's really hard for me to breathe that fast it's not quite the same experience for her. Even so, they decided to change her flow back up to 3 liters. They knew they were pushing her with the fast weaning and decided to pull back just a bit. Her numbers looked much better last night!
She seems to be dropping a bit of weight. In the last two days she went from 1410 grams on Saturday to 1390 Sunday and then 1380 grams last night. This is NOT the direction we want to be heading! Fortunately, she's handling her feeds well and pooping a-plenty. We know the plumbing is working and that's a very good thing. We just need some of that milk to go towards growing!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Babies do breathe faster than adults. When Michael was in the NICU I learned that. :-) It's a little freaky!
ReplyDeleteAs for the losing weight instead of gaining it - all babies do that (I'm sure Solana did too!). As long as the doctor's aren't worried, don't worry yourself about it! :-)
Dramatically? He used the "d" word? I love that word! As long as it is followed by "better" ... Did you whisper to Chloe that Michigan is just too cold this time of year and that you promise to take her there on a beautiful summer vacation in the DISTANT future if she spares you the trip now? She's being so accomodating, what a good girl :) I'm so sorry on the weight gain thing. It is such a trial to find the magic combination of nutrition, breathing assistance, and everything else to keep these babies beefing up. It's so frustrating because gaining weight means COMING HOME!! I'm sorry, and I'll put in a a special prayer for fatness today :)
ReplyDeleteThis is such great news! I have been hoping to hear it. Now we'll just pray for similar news for Monday. I wish I was going in this weekend. I'm missing you guys...
ReplyDeleteLove you-
Leticia