They realized yesterday morning that Chloe was due for another eye exam and decided to hold off on extubation until after her eye exam. It's a good thing, too, because the eye doctor decided that Chloe progressed to Stage 3 ROP and needs laser surgery. I haven't had a chance to talk to him (the eye doctors are very elusive) so I don't know too much more. We have lots of questions about how bad her ROP is, the procedure, long-term effects, etc. The surgery is scheduled for 3:30pm ET. They'll give her pain medication and a paralyzing drug so she doesn't move. They'll turn up her ventilator really high since she'll be paralyzed. She's probably pretty hungry right now. They had to stop her feeds this morning because of the anesthesia :-(
After the surgery she should recover pretty quickly. They'll restart her feeds and wean her ventilator settings. Unfortunately, they'll probably have to do another round of steroids to try and get her off the ventilator. We want to limit steroids - they're not really good for her - but we also want to get her off the ventilator since her body seems to be fighting it. It's a constant balance of what's more important. Praying praying praying.
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I'm so sorry to hear that. But glad that they are going to stop ROP in its tracks! I'm sure the procedure will go well, and Chloe will be back on track for extubation. She must have had enough of that tube down her throat, poor baby.
ReplyDeleteI must say, what is up with eye doctors??? We had terrible luck with Daphne's too. In fact we switched after she left the NICU.
I was praying for her this morning! :)
ReplyDeleteOh dear. If it's any consolation (it was for us a little) they say it's so much better to get the ROP surgery before extubation, since it's so hard on baby and parents to go back onto the vent for surgery. Your Chloe sounds a lot like our Daxton, and so I'll bet when they sit to talk about the surgery the doctor will scare you, but know that the surgery is routine and she'll do great! Daxton's ROP was significant, but he has compensated so well, and you can't tell there are any issues with his periphery.
ReplyDeleteHang tight, know we're all praying, and update when you can!
Hi Cindi!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to let you know I have been thinking about you and hoping Chloe's eye surgery went well today.
Thanks for sharing your blog with me. I have read quite a few posts and am moved by your experience and your writing.
See you on Thursday, and let's try to get the girls together soon!
Praying everything went well!
Roula