Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 72 - New Schedule/New Fortifier

Yesterday was Chloe's fourth day on full feeds of Mommy Brand Premium Milk. I expected them to start her on fortifier, since she'd already done 3 days on full feeds, but the doctor decided to give her an extra day. Today they are adding one calorie of Elocare. This is a more elemental/partially digested form of fortifier that should be easier on Chloe's bowels. I kind of drilled the NP who gave me this news because I'd had "Calcium," "Minerals," "Rickets," "OsteoSomething" drilled into my head for the last few days (and by four different people) and finally drank the KoolAid. OK! I'm sufficiently scared enough to approve Human Milk Fortifier. Then they say, "Oh. Nevermind. We'll just do Elocare even though we told you it doesn't have enough calcium and minerals for Chloe." Deep Breath....Please....Explain. So, she explained to me that, for a baby with an intestinal rupture history, and problems with fortifier, they want to try something easier on her first and then they'll proabably try the HM fortifier later on. For now we just want her to grow. Hmmm. Sounds awfully familiar. Did you guys just all agree to gang up on me until I approve the fortifier just to see if you could do it? And then decide not to use it just to screw with me? Or did it just occur to you that Chloe had an intestinal rupture because, after my squeaky wheel impression, you took a closer look at Chloe's chart? Either way, I'm happy now. She's getting an easier fortifier and will hopefully start packing on the pounds and packing on that new lung tissue!

Her blood gases have been acceptable enough that they've also tweaked her breaths per minute two days in a row. They're tweaking very very slowly (whisper voice) "in hopes that she doesn't notice." Hehe. These are her first changes in the right direction since they stopped the steroids. Let's hope we can keep sneaking vent changes with success...

In other Hendrickson news: Dave and I have constructed a plan so that I'm not constantly running around like a maniac and simultaneously getting nothing done. Keep in mind that this is a first draft and I'm pretty sure the blanks will be filled in with lots of cool fun stuff. For example, Solana and I will be baking pumpkin pies from our little sugar pumpkins this afternoon. Anyway, we're such nerds. Check out my chart and please feel free to comment on how dorky we are.
















By the way, if you click on it (just like pictures) you can actually see the detail. I just told my dad that and he cracked up when he saw the big version ;-)

Tomorrow I promise a picture of Chloe dressed up for halloween! The nurses did it and I keep forgetting to bring the picture home.

Finally, thanks for all your support during my rough week. And thank you for continuing to pray for my baby girl.

4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, this puts me to shame! You even wrote in "drive." I'm very impressed with your organization skills.

    I can see you tapping your foot at the doctors while they explain their decisions to you. See- your mommy radar was right about the fortifier! Keep it up, Mommy! Way to go!

    I can't wait to see cute little Chloe all dressed up! I'm so glad you are feeling better. You sound more at ease, which is so hard to do right now. You are doing so well through all of this!

    Hugs and Prayers,
    Jen
    ~BTW, don't forget to pencil in a pedicure for yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! where is Solona taking gymnastics? I can't wait to see the picture of Chloe for halloween! HUGS momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...I'll go ahead and do it- "DORK!" :o)
    At least you have a guide as to what to do and you won't be tearing yourself up about not getting everything done you planned to do in your head. I agree that you need to put some "Cynthia time" in that schedule. When do you get a break? It's important!!!
    Love you!
    -Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha!! i love the excel sheet... so funny i had to show jason... i knew he would appreciate that!!

    ReplyDelete