Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 129 - Problem

I'm not sure how well you can see this picture. It was kind of dark and I didn't want to disturb Chloe with a flash. What do you see wrong with this picture?

















Well, considering the poor quality of the picture I'll go ahead and help you. 1. Chloe is naked and in a heated bed. 2. She has a collection bottle at the end of her NG tube. 3. She has an IV in her right arm.


Long story short: Chloe was exceptionally gassy last night during our visit. Even so, she did finish all of her nighttime feeds. This morning she was really irritable, though, and only took 1/2 of her 9am feed. I was there before her noon feed. Her nurse decided to pull back on her NG tube and, to our dismay, pulled back her ENTIRE feed from three hours earlier. They did an xray and her bowels are dilated and full of gas.


We don't know what's going on with her. There are many possible reasons for this. They're first going to try and rule out an infection. They took cultures and started her on antibiotics. We'll get the final results on those after 72 hours. They're also considering a possible blockage in her intestines. I thought we were done with that but, apparently, that old rupture could still rear its ugly head in the form of a blockage even now. Ideally, her bowels will just go back to normal overnight and she'll be fine in the morning. We have no idea what's in store.


On my way home from the hospital today I was happily in attendance at my pity party and crying away in the van (my favorite place to cry). I mentally shook my finger at Leila and told her, "You're sup-POSed to be looking out for your sister," in my best Mommy voice. No sooner did I think that than it occured to me (she talks back to me quicker than Solana) that Leila was probably whispering in Chloe's ear all along to not finish her bottles so she could stay in the hospital longer and be in the best place when this happened. Whoops. I thought, "Sorry, Mija. You did a good job taking care of your sister. Love you :-)"

5 comments:

  1. You are SO right. So right. Praying that the gas will leave on its own and Chloe is doing much better today. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear poor Chloe but good for you Leila...you protected your sweet sister as Cole protected Cameron when my water broke.
    Guess we have to remember this when 'crap' (yup pun totally intended) happens like this.
    Praying for you sweet baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about your conversation with Leila...brought tears to my eyes. Sweet little angel has probably been working over-time helping Chloe, but also comforting you, Dave, and Solana on a daily basis.

    Praying for a quick recovery for Chloe and sending more hugs and kisses than ever!

    Love you,
    -Leticia-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Leila isn't afraid to talk back to her mommy, even when she is getting a scolding! :-) She has been there watching over Chloe and will for the rest of her life.

    I'm sorry that Chloe has been backsliding, but am hopeful that it is related to all the other "experimenting" that's been going on and nothing serious. As always, my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one, Leila! Good call! Such frustrating news and I'm so sorry. Praying for this to resolve quickly. Starving babies is TERRIBLE!!! I've heard patience is a virtue. It might be, but it's not one that I possess :)

    ReplyDelete