Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day 108 - Chloe's Secret

The feeding therapist couldn't make it in today. Fortunately, (before I had to say anything) the nurses decided it was silly for her to be the only person allowed to feed Chloe a bottle and that it would do Chloe no good to take two days off from practicing. The nurse practitioner put in an order for Chloe to get two bottle feedings plus one breastfeeding a day.

And as Chloe's nurse tried to give her the bottle Chloe told her a secret. She said, "I don't like the taste of that yucky Elecare. I just like my Mommy's milk straight." So the nurse promptly prepared a new bottle of straight milk and voila! Chloe took 20cc's! That other lady wanted tag Chloe a "difficult feeder" and start all kinds of crazy stuff to "teach" her to suck and swallow. All Chloe needed was for someone to listen to her :-) Thank goodness for good nurses! They want to try some different fortifiers for her so that she can keep up her steady weight gain. 3lb 13oz now! Yeah!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to go in tonight. Solana got a runny nose yesterday and my throat has been hurting all day. I called the nurse practitioner (already knowing the answer) to see if I should go in or not and she said No Way Jose! She gave me a visual of Chloe catching a virus and it wasn't a pretty one so I'm staying clear of the NICU for a while. I just needed someone else to make me do it. This is only my second day to not see Chloe. I know I'm totally spoiled - one more thing to be grateful for. I just hope she doesn't miss me too much.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Chloe! Hope you guys feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO thankful for Chloe's progress. She is such a fighter! 2010 is going to be such a great year for your family!

    ReplyDelete