Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day 116 - I've Been Workin' on The Bottle....

She's working at it! Chloe is doing really well at the bottle. She's had a couple of really long periods (like 12-18 hour stretches) of taking her entire feeds by bottle and then she'll have periods of being too tired to take her bottle. I think her too-tired periods are getting shorter and more spread out, though, as she grows and gets stronger. 4lb 5oz, by the way :-D

They actually have a minimum requirement that she has to eat - it's 35cc's every 3 hours. She took 84% of her feeds by bottle yesterday and the rest was given to her by her NG tube.

I spoke to the nurse practitioner this morning and, since Chloe does not suffer from Brady or Apnea spells**, she can come home as soon as she is taking 100% of her feeds by mouth! That could be as early as Monday or Wednesday (the days they give Synergist shots - an important immunization required before leaving the NICU)!

Plus, I want to thank you all for your encouragement on Chloe's breastfeeding hiccup. I tried the shield for two feedings yesterday and it worked great for Chloe! I guess it just makes it easier for her to get the milk out. She took almost her full feeds both times!

**Brady (heartrate drops too low) and Apnea (baby stops breathing for an extended period of time) are really common for preemies and those are often the big hurdles to overcome before babies can go home. With all the problems she's had I don't know how in the world Chloe sidestepped those. It may be because she's past full term... I don't know, but I'm definitely not overlooking that as something for which to be grateful!

5 comments:

  1. Hooraaaaaay! I am so happy for you. Chloe will be home before the holidays. I just have one practical annoying tip (don't I always...) for today. Synagis is REALLY expensive and some insurance companies balk at paying for it. Chloe will need it every month until the end of the season in your area. Make sure you check if your insurance will cover it, you may need to get your pediatrician on it right now for next month. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gasp! It's coming!!! It's going to be a very Merry Christmas at your house!! WAHOOOOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fingers crossed...fingers crossed! (I'm sure the prayers will help, too!) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heavenly Father, giver of life and health: Comfort and relieve your sick servant Chloe, and give your power of healing to those who minister to her needs, that she may be strengthened in her weakness and have confidence in your loving care; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted you to know that I'm praying for your sweet Chloe. I remember trying to work on the bottle to get Olivia home. Oh, and I had to use breast shields too. What an amazing day it will be for you to take Chloe home!!! I'm sure Leila and Logan are playing together in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete