You were right! It feels like (even though I know it's not true) they suddenly realized how "old" Chloe is and decided to kick her out of the NICU! She's graduated to bolus feeds where all the food is poured into her feeding tube within a matter of a few minutes and she's tolerated that well today. They're probably feeding her with a bottle right now for all I know! I stopped by the hospital last night to practice some non-nutritive sucking. (I drained my milk factory and then let her practice on me.) She did great! Of course, she only gave a few good sucks but she seemed to know what to do and didn't mind at all. I really wanted to get her successful at breastfeeding first but the lactation consultant says they have good success with breastfeeding even though they get their babies onto the bottle first. Plus, it would delay her homecoming if we make her breastfeed first, and they really want to get her home soon! Like I'm going to argue with that!
I spoke with the nurse practitioner today about Chloe's small size. She's WAY under the growth curve. Heck, she's not even 4 pounds, yet! She says that Chloe's a lot smaller than babies at her gestational age but she's "mature" so they know she can do what she needs to do to go home. Her growth curve is absolutely below the norm but at least it's a curve and not a horizontal line. Chloe just takes things at her own pace.
When I got home last night from the hospital Dave was shopping online for premie diapers and air purifiers. (He's such a planner!) Then he asked me if I have a plan for having Chloe at home and keeping an eye on her. What? I can't just leave her in the room sleeping while I clean house? Crap! I am so screwed! Plus, check out Chloe's bedroom. Can you tell we weren't expecting her home any time soon? At least she won't be staying in there for a while....





SOOO excited!!!! Can't get a better Christmas gift than getting to bring your girl home ~
ReplyDeletexoxo
LOL, WAHOOOOOO!!!! I was hoping this post was coming soon!! Get that girl eating and get her HOME!!!!!!! So exciting! So scary, LOL! And most of all, so WONDERFUL!!!! PS -- Crew's room looked exactly like that 3 days before he came home. Only not pink ;)
ReplyDeleteYaaaay. Good luck with the nippling. I hope she takes to it and can go home very soon. Daphne came home on a Monday. We were painting her room and assembling her crib on Saturday. It was summer so we opened all windows and let it air out Sunday. Truth be told, she slept in our room for the first couple of months.
ReplyDeleteTears started falling when I got to the part about taking her home! How wonderful it will be to have your whole family home and together. I hope she makes it home before Christmas - that will be the best Christmas present ever! Margaret
ReplyDeletePraise GOD! Count your blessings ONE BY ONE... count your blessings SEE WHAT GOD HAS DONE!
ReplyDeleteI pray for Chloe AND your family daily.
Any day now! And don't worry about the room, or the nippling (Michael didn't have any nipple confusion once home from the hospital AND it helped him take expressed milk from Troy in a bottle better). Everything will work as it should - and on Chloe's schedule. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat is so exciting! I'm happy for yoU!
ReplyDelete