Our carseat is at the hospital. Chloe has had her two month vaccinations and Synagis (RSV preventative). Dave and I completed the CPR course and Chloe's NG tube came out. She also had her weekly eye exam yesterday and the doctor said the ROP is gone and she only needs exams every other week now. We're one foot out the door.
Then, after I fed her last night she desatted. Big Time. She was in the 50's and started turning blue. It was like she passed out and turned limp. Her heartrate started falling - never below 100 but it was almost there. We couldn't get her to snap out of it and the nurse had to use the oxygen mask to finally get her back up after about 2-3 minutes. I was worried that I had triggered a vagal response when I tried to burp her and talked to the nurse about positioning. But then she did it again after her next feeding, which was given by the nurses.
They did bloodwork and looked at her white/red blood cells. Those look normal so they don't think she's sick. Now they're looking at her bottle. I started using this great bottle called Breastflow. She's used it for a week with no problems so I doubt that's it but I think they're just trying to come up with any reason why she'd react this way after feedings. I hope they figure this out and it's something simple. I really don't want Chloe to have any more major problems. But it's kind of scary to imagine her doing this once she's home - which, I'm pretty sure won't happen this week.
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I can't believe you are almost home with Chloe!! What an awesome Christmas that would be. That's crazy she desated so low.. Maybe an apnea monitor is in the works. Minor details.. I'm still so happy for you guys!!
ReplyDeleteOh, boo. I can't believe that, what a bummer. but it is important for these things to be ironed out before you take her home. I'll tell you a secret: after D's heart surgery, we took her to the ER for a vagal. It was so humiliating, with all our hospital experience, but the cardiologist said she was glad we brought her in just to be sure. Ugh. How much O2 is Chloe on now? D desatted during feeds for a while, and our issue was the nipple's flow was too fast.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow. I am so bummed for you that she won't come home quite yet. I am so relived that she didn't spring this on you at home though! Still.... buuuuuummer.
ReplyDeleteWhat a bummer :( Maybe this is God's way of reminding you to not forget how fragile she is. (as if you ever could!) It's still disappointing but keep the big prize in mind, she will be coming home SOON! Merry Christmas! :D
ReplyDeleteCrap! :( I'm so sorry, Cyndi...
ReplyDelete