Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 107 - Big Girl Bed




Chloe is in a big girl bed! Solana and I stopped by for a visit today and enjoyed her new bed so much! Solana couldn't keep her hands off Chloe. I don't have any pictures of her actually touching Chloe because she was making me really nervous. (She's kind of clumsy.) I didn't dare step away for even a second to grab the camera. I managed to reign in the big sister, though, and all was good :-)
They also put Chloe on "home going" oxygen. Her canula is only 1/8th of a liter, which is barely a poof of air in her nose. She's doing great with it!
She didn't do too well with her bottle feeding, though. She only managed about 3 cc's. By the time they got around to feeding her, though, she had already been crying for about 20 minutes (I think from hunger). Not the ideal learning scenario. I'm no expert at feeding technique but I suggested that perhaps the Fedding Therapist start her bottles before she's thrown herself into a fit of rage. I don't know. Just a thought...
But she did great at breastfeeding tonight. I harassed the nurse into finishing Chloe's assessment early (and threatened to whip out my you-know-what if she didn't finish before Chloe got upset) so that we could start feeding while she was still in a cooperative state-of-mind. She got 23 out of 35 cc's - her best showing yet! At least I know she's capable of suck/swallow. Now it's just a matter of getting her to do it on a bottle and we can take her home!

5 comments:

  1. I still can't believe that she's so small and they're prepping her to go home soon! I love it! I'm telling you.. once D got to the point where she could take half of her feedings from me, she took off! And I think we were home like a week later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the same issue when D moved to a crib, Lucy wouldn't keep her hands off of her and all of a sudden demanded to help with everything! Our primary nurse was so nice and gave her a little empty volufeed with a nipple and some preemie diapers, and taught Lucy how to care for her baby doll while I cared for Daphne. Chloe is doing such a good job! Are they giving you some kind of timeline?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, sounding VERY promising indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog all the time but rarely post....quick reminder just in case my son Parker was born 8/23/08 at 26 weeks. But Parker came home on oxygen (though a little higher then Chloe) and it really isn't a big deal! It sounds scary but it really isn't. I am glad you got to have both of your babies together today....I remember the feeling! It really was the best feeling to have both my babies together....my daughter was 2 when Parker was born....I keep praying for you guys and little miss Chloe. It is a very elite group of families that have micro preemies but it is even MORE rare to have a micro with another child at home. Lots of love, prayers, hugs and kisses from Pa.
    Mere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crack me up!! I'm just picturing you threatening them! You are an awesome mommy!! :)

    ReplyDelete