Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day 69 - Come on Man!

I was at the hospital for rounds this morning and listened to the Resident running down Chloe's status to the Neonatologist. It was reassuring to hear her tell him what she wanted to do and have him approve or correct her plans. Whew. Thanks for your work 27 year-old. Glad you're not the final approver on Chloe's care.

The neonatologist asked if Chloe is receiving milk with fortification and the Resident informed him that she's just on milk because of previous problems with the fortifier. I chimed in, "It's Hindmilk." Chloe's nurse then pointed out that my hindmilk was tested yesterday at 24 calories to which I quickly corrected - 24POINT EIGHT calories. At which, I expected to see his mouth drop open and hear him exclaim, "WOW! THAT'S GREAT!" To my annoyance, that didn't happen. He simultaneously tilted his head to one side and shrugged as if to say, "Well, that's great and all BUT..." Then pointed out that it's not just the calories that Chloe needs. It's the calcium and minerals for bone growth. Come on man! Give me just a little something here. Aren't you just slightly impressed? Oh well...

He agreed to leave her on milk alone for another day or so and then try to fortify again but even slower than last time. Sigh. We'll see about that. I certainly don't want to deny Chloe's bones the calcium and minerals they need but...you know. We also talked about how lactose intolerance runs in my family (Solana absolutely must have two big cups of warm milk every day and we had to buy the lactose free stuff until very recently.) Plus, my mom and sister can't even look at the stuff. I'm now on a low lactose and no raw or gas-causing vegetables for the time being. We want to make sure that, if Chloe responds negatively again, it's not due to any bad stuff in my milk.

Oh, and Chloe's daytime primary passed her observations with all "Meets" or "Exceeds" expectations. :-) She's also had 33+ years as a NICU nurse and is great so far. I think we'll work well together. If only I can get her to stop calling me Mrs. Hendrickson... ;-)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I actually found myself chuckle a bit when I read this one. Sorry the Dr. didn't pat you on the back, but you have a large community of people sending you high-fives and pats every day! Maybe Doctors forget to "stop and smell the roses" every now and then since they have so many serious things to focus on. Do unto others...Try patting him on the back first! :o) It's usually contagious!

    Glad you like the primary nurse. That's important since she takes such close care of our little Chloe! Love you...And GOOD JOB, ON THE HIND MILK!!!!

    -Leticia-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn that fortifier comes with it's complications! Cameron had such awful gas with hit and bad reflux issues with it as well. Once he came out of the hospital we used Goodstart added to pumped milk for extra calories. It was easier on his tummy for gas but still caused reflux issues. He did best on just plain old mommy milk!
    Just wanted you to know that my friend had di di twins at 25weeks 4 days and one of her daughters was on a vent for 64 days. She actually progressed very quickly off of it once she was done with it. She had no trach and they never talked about it either for her. She has mild CP now but other than that is a very normal 3 year old.
    Keep growing Chloe...you are so very strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, i think your hind milk rocks! even if he didn't seem to think so... poop on him! lol!!

    ReplyDelete