Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Update - Kangaroo Time!

The update from this morning is: although I wasn't completely accurate this morning in my statement about "no surgery" things are still looking good.

The "study" they did on Chloe this morning involved a barium enema being forced up her rear and monitored using x-rays. The radiologist did not see a blockage caused by a narrowing of the intestines or by scar tissue from her earlier rupture. What she saw was some compacted poop that appeared to be blocking her intestines.

Upon speaking with the neonatologist early this afternoon I learned that we need to wait for Chloe to "move" her bowels and poop out all the barium from this morning's study so that they could proceed with the next study - another barium study but this time it will be placed in her stomach and watched on it's way down the intestines. It is possible that there may be a stricture in her small intestines that they couldn't see this morning but that they might see with the second study. Chloe needed to poop before they could do that and, fortunately, she had a big diaper full of poop when I changed her!

They did another x-ray after the poop and this time the surgeon took a look. And what he saw was probably the most encouraging thing today. He saw that the original barium enema went all the way up to her stomach! That's a great sign that could mean there is no blockage at all! Please keep praying that this is the case. They will move forward with the next barium study tomorrow and we want it to move from her stomach and all the way down her small and large intestines!

Once they verify the absence of blockage they can begin feedings. We really need Chloe to start eating so her poor liver can start healing and so she can start growing. Once she gets stronger and grows perhaps her lungs will get better. They're doing amazingly well right now because she's on steroids but they'll take her off of steroids pretty soon.














Picture of Chloe's ambulance on the way to Children's Medical Center this morning.















During her barium study this morning. Thank God for the steady and sure hands of the pediatric radiologist. I can't imagine the kind of control necessary to force fluid up and through the intestines of a 2lb 3oz baby without damaging them.















Walking quickly from radiology to the NICU - Chloe's new home.

The hospitals all have a new policy for the flu season. Only parents/grandparents are allowed to visit. No children. While this makes it more difficult for us to visit Chloe we're glad for the extra precautions against germs. Unfortunately, I couldn't be there this morning but my friend, Angela, watched Solana for several hours this afternoon, though, so I could stop by for a visit. Thank you Angela!

This visit turned out to be ridiculously exciting for me! The nurse let me have kangaroo time with Chloe for the first time! I almost cried when she offered. I ended up spending over an hour with my precious little miracle on my chest and she's already such a good little girl. She did just great for her Mommy! I can't even begin to describe how special that was. Instead, I'll share a picture.

10 comments:

  1. Words not necessary--PRICELESS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...BAD idea to look at this in the a.m., after putting on make-up! I should have known I'd cry when I saw the pictures! I pray that the good news keeps rolling in. I'm so happy about Kangaroo time- for you and for Chloe. So many mothers of preemies have told me about how incredibly important that time is for the baby! I love you guys so much!!

    BTW- Your hair short is beautiful! LOVE it!

    -Leticia-

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious pic!! So glad things are going great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got me in tears now... such a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. breathtaking.... absolutely breathtaking.
    God bless you angels....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been following your posts and Chloe's progress...her struggles remind me so much of my Daphne's beginning at the NICU. I was overjoyed to read this post. You are in my prayers. She is strong AND beautiful. Enjoy kangaroo time with her - it is healing for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So precious! Congratulations to you both. I am sure the kangaroo time meant just as much to Chloe as it did to you. I pray God will continue to bless all of you. Joyce B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog from another micro's blog. (Rhys) I have been reading this for a few weeks but have never commented. I just wanted to say that I pray for your little princess nightly. She is beautiful and strong! I completely understand what you are going through. My son, Parker was born at 26 weeks on August 23, 2008. (great day for a birthday huh?!) But I also had a toddler at home. At the time my son was born, my daughter was only 2. But, please feel free to contact me if you need anything. My son's blog is www.parkertoday.wordpress.com
    Lots of prays and love,
    Mere, Parker & family

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY POOP! Isn't funny the things you rejoice over?? :-) So happy to read yesterday's and today's blogs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy oh BOY this brings back wonderful memories of the first time I was able to do Kangaroo Care with 2-pound Crew. She is so itty bitty! She looks like a wee little kitten snuggled up on you! I bet you slept well that night! Kangaroo care never gets old, LOL!! ENJOY, you lucky lucky mama!

    ReplyDelete