Well, not too much to report. Chloe was increased to 6cc's per hour on day 60 and her TPN (IV nutrition) was discontinued! They're using a heparin lock flush on her pic line to keep it from clotting but might take it out in a couple of days or so. It'll be weird to have Chloe IV/Pic free!
She's holding steady on her ventilator settings. They tried to decrease her breaths from 30 to 28 bpm but had to go back up because she had too much CO2 on her latest blood gas. She'll get there, though. We just need to be patient with her.
Regarding her extra calories, they decided on the following plan:
-Continue to feed Chloe from my first 50 pumpings (this is the milk that contains the colostrum and other important antibodies that babies need in the beginning of their lives).
-Once she's up to full feeds (7cc's per hour and probably on day 61) they'll start adding the breast milk fortifier.
-They'll add the fortifier only 1 calorie at a time to make sure she's not overwhelmed with a sudden change.
-Once they finish the first 50 pumpings they'll start feeding her the hindmilk I've started pumping. It sure feels good to have her actually drinking my milk! I feel like we're finally harvesting the fruits of my pumping labor!
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Mija,my heart is so happy and thankful to hear that Chloe is doing so well.I love you all!
ReplyDeleteWhoohoo! Yay for Mommy's milk! I think it is great you are doing this for her, it is an excellent gift. I have some recipes for homemade baby food that call for breast milk (I've finally found a use for my ginormous milk stash, lol), let me know when she's ready if you want some. They are super-easy.
ReplyDeletePrayers,
Jen
This is grand news indeed!! Congrats! Sorry, we're been MIA -- Crew had the SWINE flu! It put me way behind :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on getting off TPN and how great to be feeding her your breast milk!
ReplyDeleteIf Chloe ends up staying on tube feeding and you have questions, feel free to contact us at The Oley Foundation. We're a non-profit organization that offers medical information, tips on daily living, and peer support for families living with home tube or IV feeding. Everything is free of charge for patients and their families.
To learn more, visit www.oley.org or call toll free (800) 776-OLEY.
Best of luck on your journey.
Roslyn Dahl
Oley staff member
dahlr@mail.amc.edu
I'm so proud of you!! You are really a great mommy!! All that pumping and hard work!! You deserve some big time credit for that!!
ReplyDelete