Chloe had a really good day yesterday. She's up to 5cc's milk per hour and handling it. Based on her weight, 7cc's per hour is a full feeding so she's getting really close to that! They're talking about fortifying my milk with extra calories. Unfortunately, the fortifier is derived from cow's milk and that makes me nervous. I wanted to use hind milk to increase the calories but they're talking about increasing the milk to 120 kcal! My 22kcal hind milk can't even touch that! She's doing so well, though, that I don't want to introduce anything weird to her belly that could set her back. I asked if they could at least introduce the fortifier slowly. Any advise from you premie moms?
A few other things going on with Chloe:
-Lungs are looking a bit wet so they're giving her some lasix to get her to pee more and, if those improve her lungs, they'll put her on diuretics for a few days to improve them further. Still trying to move closer to get her off the ventilator.
-Red blood cells are still looking low after a blood transfusion earlier this week. This is typical for preemies. They're constantly drawing blood and it's hard for them to replenish. She'll probably get a second transfusion later today.
-Direct Bilirubin is high so she's on some medication for that.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Cyndi, we also had to do the HMF fortification for Daphne. They wanted her to gain enough weight for heart surgery and she wasn't growing well on breast milk only. At one point they were adding both HMF and MCT oil to my milk. The nurses called it her milkshake :-) when HMF was introduced, D started spitting up a bit so they cut it to every other feed, then worked up to every feed. I think you are right to be hesitant and ask that they be careful with it. I am so proud of your Chloe! What a warrior!
ReplyDeleteI just want you to know that I pray for Chloe EVERYDAY!!! I have also asked many others to pray for her as well. I have many friends of many religions all of whom are praying for your sweet baby. I have asked them all to spread the word. When my TTTS Survivor was in the NICU I had ppl all over the world praying for my baby and it brought a sense of comfort. I pray that it does the same for you. I am in Georgia and I have friends ALL OVER THE WORLD! I STRONGLY BELIEVE that GOD hears and answers our prayers. I pray daily for COMLETE healing of Chloe. I also pray for GOD to be with all of your family!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read another WONDERFUL update :)
Wow! It sounds like Chloe is really loving her mommy's milk! I'm praying hard for her lungs, successful blood transfusions, lowered bilirubin, and for the doctors to take your advice on the fortified milk. Remember- you're her advocate and you just might say something they need to hear.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
-Leticia-
Crew was never able to tolerate more than half doses of the fortifier!! It was so frustrating. Every time they would try to beef him up to 24, and even 22, he would stall out. It would take DAYS to get him situated again! Then again... he did have serious bowel issues, so that might not apply... once humpty dumpty was put back together again, he was a LITTLE more tolerant :) Good luck on this balancing act!
ReplyDelete