The steroids seem to have worked for Chloe. They were able to wean her off the oscillator and put her on the conventional respirator today. She's been on the conventional for about two hours now and her O2 saturation is currently at 95% with her settings only in the 30's. This is pretty darn good. If she can maintain this then she'll be able to stay on the conventional. I've heard that some babies become "steroid dependant" but the doctor will wean her off the steroids instead of stopping cold turkey. Hopefully, this will prevent that.
Children's Hospital will pick her up for transport to some time after 7am tomorrow and take her straight to her barium enema - scheduled for 8am in the morning. Let's hope for the best possible outcome tomorrow.
In addition, Chloe is on medication for a yeast infection under her neck. This is common with premies. They live in a warm humid environment that's just perfect for yeast to take hold. She's receiving cream treatment to the site and medication. The combination of this medicine and steroids can be rough on her stomach so the doctor is giving her 1cc "feedings" just to coat and protect her stomach.
Finally, the doctor talked to me about Chloe's eyes today. She had her first scheduled eye exam this morning and they discovered some scar tissue in her eyes. They don't yet know what this will do to her vision, if anything, but want to do some tests and watch it.
Whew! Seems like there's a lot going on today. Just visiting with Chloe was eventful. When I got there she was laying on her back with a pacifier in her mouth and I could see her little tongue working to move it up and down. So cute! I had just barely put my hands in the isolette when my phone rang and I answered it so I was drying my hands from a "rewash" when Chloe's O2 saturation just plumeted from 95% to 50%. The nurse and I both jumped to look in the isolette and saw that Chloe was just fit to be tied. Her face was purple and all squinched up from crying and all four limbs were flailing like I'd never seen before. The nurse tried to tuck her arms and legs back in but that did no good what-so-ever so she ran out to get the respiratory therapist. I went to put my hands on Chloe and noticed the pacifier laying by her head. I quickly put it in her mouth and - VOILA! It was like magic! I could hardly believe it. She was actually throwing a fit because she'd lost her pacifier!
Now, this has ocurred to me before but never did I KNOW. At that moment I KNEWthat Chloe will be the most spoiled child this planet has ever seen. Making her happy by giving her the pacifier was probably the most gratifying thing I've ever done for her. How could I EVER tell her "no?" Solana's pacifiers went in the trash can the day she turned 2. Come back in two years to find out if I can do the same for Chloe...
By the way, most of you realize this but I should have explained something about the commercial I mentioned in yesterday's post.... Chloe's twin sister's name: Leila.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I couldn't help but laugh when I read about Chloe's pacifier. Of course only her Mommy would know how to fix that problem. Chloe's in our thoughts each and every day and we continue to pray for her to get stronger and stronger. I was with the family this weekend at Juaquin's birthday party and everyone says to pass on their love to you, Chloe, Solana and Dave. When able, tell your little girls I love them. Love, Valerie.
ReplyDeleteHey there, just wanted you to know we're praying for you guys! Keep up the good blogging. We will enjoy meeting Chloe through it!
ReplyDeleteYet again, you knew something that only mother's intuition could have known. What a little stinker! I can just imagine the gratification you felt when you were the one able to calm her down! What did the nurse say? Was she shocked?! I'm putting money on you NOT taking away that pacifier at 2 yrs. It will totally be Chloe's call! I guess I should go start buying little "prissy" clothes now!
ReplyDelete...Saying a prayer for a successful test today. Love you guys!
-Leticia-
That's a great story and such a great sign of the fighter she is :) Good luck today we will be checking back and praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteCyndi,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Chloe is able to start telling you what she wants- that is a HUGE step for her. For her to be awake and aware enough to demand a pacifier is just.... amazing. Keep fighting little girl, you are so strong!
Jen
That's so funny that she threw that fit! They really do get their personalities and their likes and dislikes SO early. She sounds STRONG and determined to me! Scar tissue -- like R.O.P. scar tissue? I totally picked up on the Layla connection. It definitely sounds like a sign to me :) We call them "tender mercies" around here.
ReplyDelete