Monday, January 25, 2010

Week 1 at Home

Wow! This past week has been a whirlwind. I can't believe a week has already gone by. So far so good. Chloe ate pretty poorly her first two days at home so I actually took her to the pediatrician because I was worried she was sick. (Also, her temp was hanging low - a sign of sickness in tiny babies.) She said Chloe's fine, though, and we'll go back in two weeks. We also got the ok to try a faster flow nipple on her bottles. She was just having to work WAY too hard to get the thickened milk out of regular nipples. We got a cool adjustable nipple from Avent and can just rotate the bottle to increase/decrease the speed. It's great because we can start her at slow speed when she first starts eating, the milk is still really warm and viscous, and she's all cylinders. Then we can just turn our wrist to switch to a higher flow when she slows down and the milk cools/thickens. It seems to be working. She doesn't take an hour to finish a bottle and I think that's good. An hour at work on a bottle is way too long for her.

We also seem to have her pooping under control. We had to give her two glycerin chips, to make her poop, when she first got home. Sticking something up Chloe's bottom wasn't exactly the homecoming I'd envisioned for her but ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do, right? Since then I've been sneaking straight (thickened) breastmilk into her diet when she seems stopped up. It seems like she only needs 3 bottles of breastmilk every three days or so to keep the poop coming. Theoretically, straight breastmilk might hinder weight gain because it has fewer calories than her breastmilk/formula recipe but she eats much more after a good poop so I'm hoping it will actually assist in weight gain and not hinder it.

We saw the pulmonologist today. I really like him a lot. He has a super cool African (big continent, I know, but that's as good as I can do) accent and made silly baby noises for Chloe as he examined her. He was tickled when I said I "hated" the pulse-ox monitor because he'd rather we watch Chloe than the monitor. I thought that was interesting since he was supposedly the one who ordered it but he vehemently denied that and said he doesn't like parents to use them because he'd rather then watch the baby. The monitor is supposed to beep when Chloe's oxygen levels or heart rate drop below acceptable levels. It goes off all the time, though, telling me that my pink babies has a 55% (for example) blood-oxygen level or it's not picking up at all because she's kicking her legs. Crappy monitor! It works sometimes, though, so I think I'll keep it on when Chloe's alone sleeping or when we're in the car and I'm not watching her. He's concerned with Chloe's growth, though (join the club), and is NOT impressed with her weight gain since leaving the hospital. (He said 11grams per day but I came home and did some math and came up with a higher number.) She needs to grow new lung tissue and weight gain is an indicator of that. Anyway, no changes for today. We can expect her to stay on oxygen at least though the winter and that's fine with me. Come back in two weeks. He might consult the nutritionist and increase her calories if she hasn't gained sufficiently by then. Yikes!


CUTIE PATOOTIE

Having Chloe home creates many more photo opportunities. She's SUCH a doll! Is it possible that she's even cuter now that she's at home BECAUSE she's at home? I've taken to kissing her a lot lately, too. Being in the NICU creates an extreme sense of germ paranoia. We're still very germ conscious. We keep antibacterial gel all over the house and I have to sneak into Solana's room at night to lotion up her hands because they're getting so dry from all the gel. (She squirts herself every time she wants to touch Chloe, poor baby.) Anyway, I never really kissed Chloe in the NICU. That sounds so sad all of the sudden - 5 months before kissing my baby properly. :-( Anyway, It's like I've found this new joy and she seems to like it too! I don't kiss her on the mouth or anything - more like her cheeks near her ear and neck. She just stared at me in fascination when I was doing it over and over last night. And I swear she was trying to kiss me back afterward (either that or she was just hungry and trying to eat my cheeks.) Whenever I would go in for another nibble at her ear she's open up her little mouth and plant one on my cheek. I LOVED IT! In fact, I can't wait for her to wake up so I can go do it again! Hehe.



Isn't she gorgeous. Look at how tiny she looks next to Dave's hands. Can you just imagine if Leila were here? Oh my gosh - that would just be a ridiculous amount of beautiful babyness!





We were trying out headbands. She can totally rock a headband but I like to keep a hat on her because her temperature's been a bit on the low side since she's been home.

This is our gorgeous Australian Shepherd, Bluebell (yes, I miss my Blue Bell ice cream). She is the best dog! And she has decided that Chloe is her baby. Ever vigilant she's always by Chloe's side. She loves Chloe. Her herding skills will come in handy when Chloe gets mobile. Oh, funny story. I lowered a swaddled Chloe so that Bluebell could sniff her and Chloe farted right as Bluebell started sniffing her. Bluebell immediately started licking Chloe's bootie area as if she were a puppy. So cute!!!

Playing with Daddy. Note Bluebell in the background...



I really do hold Chloe sometimes...


TUMMY TIME!
Chloe enjoys herself some tummy time! This was taken right at the beginning - before the screaming and crying began. I always feel so bad for her during tummy time :-(
Super Girl! She has yet to roll over for us (the nurses swear she did it three times in a row for them a couple of weeks ago) but she's gotten pretty close.


Here Dave is giving her some moral support. It seemed to work. She got busy right after that.
SISTERS

Solana adores her sister. Of course, we've already witnessed a tiny bit of acting out. I'm torn between maintaining a firm hand with her and letting it slide since she really has been neglected the last few days. If you know me at all you've probably already guessed that I've chosen the "firm hand" option. (With a side of obscenely excessive praise for praise-worthy behavior.) :-P Hopefully, we'll get back to a reasonable amount of "Solana time" really soon.

I love Solana's expressions in these pictures.


I think Chloe kind of resembles Solana in this picture. I never really thought that before...
Look at how she looks at Chloe. Love them!

Well, that's it for this week. I definitely will not be updating every day anymore. I'm lucky if I brush my teeth before noon! (And yes, I do believe I had brushed teeth in the above picture. Definitely no makeup, though!) Blogging is definitely going to fally by the wayside. It's been wonderful to read all the joyous comments of our friends and loved ones the past few days. It's so fun to hear Chloe's cheering squad in full force. :-D

9 comments:

  1. I've had a crazy bunch of days and how happy I was to check in today and see this awesome post. Chloe is BEAUTIFUL and looks well and happy. Solana seems to be doing great as big sister. It's hard when they come home. Lucy acted out against us but never against Daphne. I am right there with you about the pulse-ox. When D first came home, we kept it on all the time. After a few days we realized it was pointless. We kept it on when she slept and in the car. D got pretty good at removing the cannula and the pulse-ox probe. :-) I want to send Chloe a little something. Can you email me your mailing address? melissa.haber@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing all the pictures of you all! Chloe is such a little sweetheart and her big sister is just beautiful! We are praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very cute!!!
    And ugggg the woes of weight gain. Cameron's gain was at about 13grams/kilo/day for months and months. We stayed on fortified breastmilk (Good Start added to expressed milk twice a day and the rest of the time he could nurse to his heart content) for about 4 months after he came home...till he was about 3 months corrected. I was soooooo tired of pumping!!! Now he's a porker with tons of chub!!!
    Keep up the good work Chloe...you'll be a porker some day too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a doll! As I'm sure everyone is telling you, it really does get easier once you get a mental grip on things. You will learn to not stress about the monitors even though that goes against everything you've experienced since her birth. And that is great the pulmonologist doesn't live by the pulseox. We stayed on top of Rhys's growth from the very beginning despite the pedi thinking he was doing okay. I did not want him to fall behind to such a degree he was well off the charts with no hope of catching up. Our efforts have paid off in a big way. He is on the charts now for actual age even, and though he is on the lower end of the scale he is definitely healthy and looks great. If you are going to register with ECI you can request a nutritionist through them. Ours comes once a month to monitor and give caloric advice (in conjunction with the pedi). It'd be a great help, especially as Chloe gets older and starts eating more foods. Keep up the good work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just so amazing!....sucha beautiful & happy family....congrats again girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndi- to put it bluntly...nebulizer treatments....SUCK! lol! Trying to get Parker to sit still for 20 minutes at a time is just impossible, so the change is very much appreciated! Glad to see all is well with you guys after a week with Chloe being home. She looks great...and so stinkin cute too! I love how Solana looks at her! She is the best big sister, besides Andi :P I am sure!
    Mere

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE eating, I'm really GOOD at eating, but an hour is even too long for ME :) Good work on the breastmilk laxative! Nice thinkin'! I know EXACTLY what you mean about the novelty of kissing your baby! That was something I did immediately when Kinley and Tanner were born. But in the NICU they breed such terror of contagion that I dared only twice in 3 months!!!! And you're right, it wasn't "properly" at all. It didn't take long once he was home to start smackin' on him nonstop. And... it hasn't stopped yet. When I first brought Crew home, I would try to kiss him on his teeeeeeny tiny cheek and I would more often than not accidentally plant my nose in his eye socket. Oops! Last year my hands cracked and bled from washing 40+ times a day plus the gels. We're a less neurotic this year. And I prefer it this way, sigh....

    She really is just the prettiest little thing. I can imagine the devastation of beauty Leila and Chloe would wreak on the world as a team.

    One thing that we've done is put the baby on our chests, propped up a little. Crew tolerated tummy time MUCH better that way. It strengthened his arms a little and then we could put him on the floor and strengthen them more. i also took him in the bathtub and laid him on my chest for the same reason. It seems that so often, tummy time is torture for the baby AND the mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! She is so beautiful and SO STRONG!!! Darbi would absolutely NOT do tummy time. That is seriously amazing. I love how tiny she is in the pictures with your husband. She is so perfect. I can't wait to watch her grow up with your little family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you updated - know you have your hands full, but I need my Chloe updates! :-)

    If she still has trouble pooping, try the "poop chair" - seriously - Michael never went more than 15 minutes with the vibration on without pooping. :-)

    I absolutely love the pictures. The best, IMHO, is the Dave & Chloe moral support picture. The look she is giving him is priceless.

    ReplyDelete