Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 136 - Upper GI - Updated

It started snowing pretty heavily yesterday afternoon so I didn't make it to the hospital for my evening visit. I never really minded the snow until now. The worst the snow ever did to me was to turn my one hour commute in Denver into a 3.5 hour commute on occassion. That wasn't so bad. If I was carpooling it just meant more time to hang out with my friend and something to brag/complain about at work. Keeping me from Chloe, on the other hand. That's bad.

The first picture is our Front Yard/Street and the next two are our Backyard. Solana is aching to get out there and play in it. With a temperature that currently feels like 6 degrees Farenheit, I'm procrastinating.






3:00am - Chloe's primary nurse wasn't happy with the swelling around her IV so she put in a new one. The last nurse sidestepped my question about the new IV placement and didn't tell me that she had at least one failed attempt in Chloe's hand before putting it in her foot (I saw the mark when I visited Chloe yesterday at noon). Chloe's primary nurse, who I LOVE, made sure to tell me that she got the new one in on the first try.

7:30am - Still no news on the schedule for her Upper GI. It's super snowy out there! Dave's colleage called from the highway and said it's a parking lot out there!

10:45am - Chloe just went down for her Upper GI. They're feeding the barium to her from a bottle. The nurse said the flavor's ok and Chloe should be thrilled to eat something again. I've never tasted barium. I hope she's right. They'll do a few x-rays down there (in radiology) and then bring her back up to the NICU for hourly x-rays. It could take anywhere between 12 and 24 hours for the barium to make its way through Chloe's intestines.

The NICU receptionist said that the roads aren't so bad. I'll probably head out there with Solana after lunch.

1:00pm Chloe is back up in the NICU and did well drinking the barium. They said that they noticed she swallowed a lot of air with the breastflow bottle. How easy of a fix would it be if that were the problem? Of course, the breastflow bottle was specifically designed so that babies do not swallow air. I asked for clarification as to how they made that determination. If it's true I'm more than happy to throw out the bottles. Solana and I will head over in a couple of hours.

4:30pm Solana and I made it to the hospital. She loves being a big sister so much. Chloe kept smiling whenever Solana stroked her forehead and sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to her. We're going to have so much fun when she comes home :-) The Upper GI test is going well. The barium is moving through at a good pace. We have received a preliminary report from the radiologists and it looks good. There doesn't seem to be any blockage. We have to wait until tomorrow for the final x-rays and report.

3 comments:

  1. OH, the SNOW!! Honestly, Cyndi, I have real snow issues now. After all we went through with the NICU through the dead of winter last year, I don't feel happy about snow anymore. I cry every time a blizzard comes, knowing there is a mommy who may not be able to make it to her baby.

    Hoping for a good update on the barium study. I pray you get to the bottom of this soon (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying!!!!!
    Praying that Chloe will be HOME soon!
    Praying that you get GOOD NEWS from the test results!

    ReplyDelete