Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 144 - Avoiding The 'H' Word

Chloe's still doing pretty well. She still doesn't want to eat at night but seems to be eating pretty well during the day. They've switched her to ad lib ad lib feedings. This basically means that she can eat as much as she wants whenever she wants. And instead of waking her every 3 hours at night they'll only wake her if she hasn't eaten in 4 hours. Plus, the nurse practitioner said she's no longer concerned with the exact quantity that Chloe eats every three hours (or even over a day). She's more concerned that Chloe is having good quality feeds and that she's gaining weight. (She didn't gain weight for about 5 days while we eased her back to full feeds). She has gained puny amounts the last couple of days so we'd really like her to start putting the grams back on.

I've taken great pains to avoid asking about the 'H' word. It was too disappointing when they said, "maybe before Christmas" and then "maybe before the new year" and neither of those happened. (It might have also had something to do with the fact that those were holidays.) I decided I'm much happier in blissful ignorance - I just want to go in for a visit one day and see Chloe sitting in her car seat and ready to go. OK, maybe that's not so practical but you know what I mean...

Anyway, I was talking to the nurse practitioner yesterday about Chloe's progress. She said, "All Chloe has to do now is keep up her eating enough to stay hydrated and gain weight over the next few days. If she does well this week she could go home on Monday. Would that be a good day for you?" Here's how I feel about that statement:

"Oh Crap! I didn't want to know! Now, I just can't get too excited because that might not happen." / "Monday!?! Yippee!! Hooraay!! I can't wait for my little Princess to come home!!"

Well, at least Chloe is blissfully ignorant...

3 comments:

  1. Hoooooray!!!!!! I was having a very grumpy morning and your post totally made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoohhhhh..... eeeks! So exciting!! I hope that she sails through to Monday uneventfully! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MONDAY?!!!!!! YAY!!! I'm so excited!!!!!

    ReplyDelete