Chloe has been eating really well. So well, in fact, that they decided (once more) to remove her NG tube. I've been praying a lot about this amazing turn of events lately. She seems to be doing really well the last couple of days. It ocurred to me that it's really easy to be thankful when things are going well. Not so much when they aren't. It's a person of strong faith who can exclaim, "Glory to God" when things did not go their way. I think I've learned a lesson here - something for me to practice in the future.
So....Um...Can Chloe come home now?
Hehe.
Here's a close-up of chin and cheek support. Middle finger is placed under the chin and gently presses up to help keep her tongue/bottom lip latched on to the bottle. Index finger and thumb gently press up and in on the cheeks. (Too bad Chloe's cheeks are so small and hard to get hold of...) Pressure on the cheeks keeps her mouth in place and sort of reminds her that the bottle is in her mouth and that she's supposed to be eating. This is Chloe's big 2oz bottle :-)
Chloe eats in the "sideline" position. She lays on her side so that the milk flows into her mouth instead of straight to the back of her throat. This way she doesn't have to work so hard to keep the milk out of her airway. I just learned to cross my legs and put her bottom in the little "seat" created for her when I do that. Her back rests on my top leg. Feeling pretty proud of myself - can you tell?




You girls are adorable. And I still use the cheek support from time to time...when D is doing what I call her pacifier suck. It's like she's sucking so I'll leave her alone, but not really drinking anything. A gentle finger on the cheek gets her sucking. Weird, huh?
ReplyDeleteWow, what a difference a few days makes. It sure sounds like things are headed in the right direction! Go, Chloe!!
ReplyDeleteYou two are breathtaking... And I am just beside myself in tears reading her weight.... GOD IS SOOOOOO GOOD... it takes time to complete perfection momma... And she's darn close I'd say!!
ReplyDeleteShes too cute!...I'm glad she has the ng out again...I know she hated it!...Im suprised she didn't takeit out herself...I saw her trying a couple times when we were walking by :-D...I know Ayden always has his out within a day...I'm so happy for you guys!...u know we gotta get a pic of Ayden and Chloe together before you guys leave the NICU :-D
ReplyDeleteGreat news! She is absolutely beautiful... And you! You look great, Cynthia!
ReplyDeleteLove you...
-Leticia-
Those are the bottles I got to store my milk in! Imagine trying to store those bottle efficiently!
ReplyDeleteMere
Cyndi- I just read your comments on Parker's blog...ok So I never mentioned Chloe on his blog because I didn't know how you would feel about it...but I have mentioned her to my friends....so she has a lot of prayers coming from Pa (and Jersey too...I am originally a Jersey girl) for ya....then you linked his blog so I figured it was ok! lol...And to clarify...he WAS extubated at 6 days...but then got NEC so he was re intubated at 13 days and didn't come off again until day 37. But he was also a little more baked :P he's a 26 weeker.
ReplyDeleteAND I will take purple over pink anyday! HAHA!
I just found your blog. It reminds me of our NICU days. I will say a prayer for your adorable family.
ReplyDeleteShe looks so big now in your arms!
ReplyDeletexoxo
When did she hit 5 lbs?! Looks like you're both old pros at this feeding thing!
ReplyDeleteShe's packing on the pounds now! That's awesome!!! :)
ReplyDelete