Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 139 - Milk

Ok - so now that I'm over Texas' loss I can write an update without being such a grump ;-) Actually, I'm quite proud of those guys for doing so well without Colt. And what a class act he was! "Glory to God... God is in control... You can't ask why things happen..."

Chloe's IV went out last night but she seemed to be doing well tolerating feedings (she's still on straight EBM) so they just increased her to full feedings and stopped her TPN. Her newest daytime primary nurse, Betty (I'm greedy and now have two day and two night primary nurses for Chloe), decided to try a plain ol' generic nipple since she's getting thickened milk now. Chloe took all of her 45cc 9am feeding in just 11 minutes! Then she took another five because she was starving. Betty said she didn't spill a drop, gave a good burp, and was happy afterward. She also did well at her 12:00 feed. I told Betty, "I hope you have just discovered the final ingredient to Chloe's eating success!"
And on the subject of milk.... I had to rearrange my milk in our deep freezer a couple of days ago and thought I'd share with you/show off what I've been doing for 20 hours a week since the girls were born.

Here we have one empty deep freezer:



Here we have the recent contents of said deep freezer (147.2 pounds of milk, to be precise):



And here we have one full deep freezer:



I have room for one more small box and then I'll have to start filling our side by side in the garage! Have I mentioned my new nickname? BESSIE!

8 comments:

  1. I filled one too! AND the little one at the NICU AND the one in our fridge in the kitchen! (but my NICU gave me bottles to store it in not bags...so you probably have more...bottle took up more room) My hubs swore he was gonna put a sign in our yard AND sell it on Ebay! He called me "Tits on Tap" Gotta love it! I stopped pumping around 8 months and Parker got all breast milk for the most part until 11 months. Think about how strong you are going to make Chloe with it all! Keep on pumping! I know it sucks especially with another toddler at home...that's why I stopped...my daughter figured out she could do anything for 20 minutes every 2-3 hours and I couldn't stop her because I was plugged into the wall. Her literally "tar and feathering" herself with Karo syrup and old fashioned oatmeal made me hang up the utters!
    Mere

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up, Bessie!!! Can't wait to visit and hold Chloe... It's just GOT to be soon!!!!

    Love you!
    -Leticia-

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what our outside freezer looked like! My husband called me Elsie. The NICU ladies would just shake their head when I brought in more milk and say Miss, you have 500 bottles back there. I always apologized to them because they had to count them daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO....my freezer with our first looked like that. Not a prem but unable to latch. I had enough to feed him from the freezer for 3 months after I stopped pumping!!! Cameron has one box to go and he's done with 'boobsicles' as my family calls them. Should take him right into when I give up daytime nursing and go back to work.
    So glad all is going so well...keep it up Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just look at all that strength, determination, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! My brother still thinks the cow jokes are just SO funny. You're so lucky you have bags to put your milk in. I pumped into the 2oz. plastic bottles and they take up so much room. I'm glad she's taking her bottle better! Hopefully we're back on track to getting this little girl home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moooooooo....

    Boobsicles! Ha ha ha ha ha!! That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boobsicles cracked me up too!! And, that's really impressive, Bessie! :)

    ReplyDelete