Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 133 - Bowel Rest

Chloe is on her fourth day of bowel rest (or "starvation," as I like to call it). My poor baby! She's soooo huuuungy! They actually have her on TPN IV nutrition so she's not actally "starving" but her little belly is definitely grumbly.

They still haven't figured out exactly why her bowels became dilated and she stopped digesting her feeds. But they have ruled out infection. Her antibiotics were discontinued today since none of the cultures yielded any growth. It seems like the possibilities are now either 1. it was nothing and they'll restart feeds again after seven days of starvation - I mean bowel rest, or 2. she has a partial or complete blockage in her intestines. They'll do another barium study on Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully, the barium study will show us whether or not she has a blockage.

I keep telling everyone that I think she just had trouble with the similac forula they were giving her. She got really gassy and her stools started coming at inconsistent intervals as soon as they put her on it. Nobody is taking me seriously, though, so I'm sure my theory has no basis. If her barium study shows a blockage then that's obviously the problem. If not, I'll make sure we're really careful when we start her on feedings again. I sure wish she could be on just breast milk!

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if there is a prayer for pooping (although I'm sure one can be made up!) but know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and Chloe's bowels. :-) (Hey, you gotta find the humor when you can, right?) If Solana were a boy, there would be *all* kinds of poop jokes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also praying for poop from Miss Chloe. Why are they giving her formula? For the cals? Can't they try a hypo-allergenic one to see if it makes a difference? You know, we were trying to pinpoint the beginning of our D's reflux issues and it definitely coincided with the introduction of formula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel - you're right. They're giving her formula mixed with my milk for the added calories and also for the added calcium/minerals for her bone growth. She was on 1:1 Similac Special Care with my milk. She tolerated Elecare (more elemental formula powder mixed into my milk)better but it tastes horrible so she wouldn't take it from a bottle. We'll see what they want to do when they get her eating again... I'll ask about something hypoallergenic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia always had problems when they added formula or the human milk fortifier to her feeds. She had to have it stopped at one point as well for the same reason. I know they want to get as many calories in her as they can, but Olivia still has problems with many calorie rich foods. Praying everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete