Last week Chloe saw the:
Pediatrician - 6 month checkup. All is good. :-)
Nutritionist - This is the NICU nutritionist who followed Chloe at Children's. We need to switch Chloe to Neosure because the Similac Special Care she's on now is not sold retail. She's aware of the Pulmonologist's desire to change Chloe's diet due to her lack-luster weight gain so she wants to do it before "they" try to do it. We'll be mixing Neosure powder with breastmilk to make a 30 calorie formula. Her current formula is 1/2 breastmilk mixed with liquid formula. I kind of like the new formula because it's ALL breastmilk with powder added. I just hope the high caloric content doesn't give her any problems. We're transitioning her slowly for now.
Opthamologist - Vision in her left eye is definitely improving but he suspects there's still blood in there. Let's keep patching.
Retinologist - Yep, there's still some blood. But it's probably not enough to warrant a vatrectomy. We need to continue to watch it because vitreal hemorrage puts her at risk for retinal detachment. I thought we were past that... So, we'll keep the patch on and take her back in two weeks.
And this week she saw the Pulmonologist. I was nervous after his "keep her on a short leash" comment. But guess what! She's gained 23 grams per day (up from 11) this month! I decided she likes it when Mama feeds her :-). And the Pulmonologist was downright pleased with that weight gain. We'll see him again in one month. At that time, we'll start to discuss weaning her from oxygen. If all goes well she could be off oxygen by May or June!
Chloe is now 20 1/2 inches long and 7lb 10.5oz :-)
In other Hendrickson business. I was dreadfully sick this weekend. I thought it was some sort of 24 hour stomach flu followed by mastitis (milk duct infection) but I saw the doctor today and he says the bathroom incident Sat. morning and fever could have been caused by the mastitis. We didn't know what it was Saturday morning (I didn't notice anything on my breast until Sunday afternoon) so I was quarantined to the back room all weekend. I thought I was better and was working my new lump out yesterday but started to feel sick again yesterday afternoon. I'm finally on antibiotics and working the lovely warm compress.
In addition, I went to the OB yesterday because I got paranoid all around about my health and had them check the placement of the IUD I got in October. Yep. It's in the wrong spot. They'll be removing it and replacing it. If you have an IUD you know just how painful the removal and placement processes are. I'm NOT looking forward to both at once that but also NOT wanting to get pregnant.
And then there's our most embarrassing medical problem. It was one of my worst-mom-ever moments. Two weeks ago. Solana and I were about to brush her teeth for bed and we were giggling and playing. I squeezed her shoulders in a shoulder-massage motion (which I knew tickled her) and she did something I didn't (but should have) forseen. She reflexively flung her head forward and straight into the marble counter. Screeming Solana. Bloody lip. Sore teeth. GUILTY Mom. None of her teeth were loose, though, so we thought she was ok. Then, last night I noticed one of her teeth turning brown. :-( She'll see the dentist tomorrow. I'm so nervous. How old are kids when they lose their baby teeth? How dark will this tooth get and how long will she have to have a brown tooth because of me? Oh - the guilt of hurting your child kinda sucks. I feel like such a jerk. Fortunately, she can't see it and doesn't mind (yet). Dave just read online that it will probably change back to white in 6 months or so. Oh I hope that happens before any kids point and laugh!
So that was pretty much our week in a nutshell. Lots of medical. In the end, though, this is what really matters right?
And this is where I have the CUTEST video of Chloe smiling...I started writing this post Tuesday morning and now it's Wednesday night. I've tried to upload the video several times today.... Now it's time for bed...
P.S. We went to the dentist today and Solana's tooth will be ok. It'll either stay a light shade of brown or return to it's normal color. It's not too obvious. I'm done beating myself up over it. :-)




C-R-A-Z-Y! That's what it sounds like your life has been for the last week!!! I feel tired just looking at all those appointments!
ReplyDeleteYikes, Cyndi, what a week. Glad Chloe is OK and gaining weight. Just to warn you, D had HORRIBLE gas on Neosure. She didn't like it at. all. We switched her to plain old Similac because the gas and spit ups with Neosure were bad. Hopefully Chloe will do well because she still gets so much yummy breast milk. Hope you feel better soon. Ouch.
ReplyDeleteSo...I leave and everything goes crazy? Are you trying to get me on the first plane back to Ohio? It would work if Mommy and Daddy weren't heading out in one week! :o)
ReplyDeleteCall me crazy, but I'm 99% sure that I remember you getting sick like that when you had mastitis with Solana- right? I thought about that earlier this week. hmmmm...
BTW- Two of Mia's 5-yr old friends at school have already lost a tooth! Can you believe that? That seems so young. I'm not looking forward to that at all...ewwww...
Give my little angels hugs and kisses from me. I miss you guys a lot!!!!
-Leticia-
We were on Neosure for quite some time. We just came off of it a few months ago. We put our nursing neighbors' Similac coupons to good use :) 23 grams per day sounds just wonderful! Go, Chloe!
ReplyDeleteWhat exactly are the ramifications of a vatrectomy again?
I can't believe you got sick! Yikes! Like you needed one more thing going on at your house right now! And kinda stressssssssful when you aren't sure if it's mastitis or something creepy scary that Chloe could pick up. I'm so glad you are feeling better.
Solana and her teeth! Ugh. I've got my fingers crossed that it lightens up! We have a wonky tooth on Crew. It erupted corn yellow because of some of the medications he was on during his final "trimester" in the NICU, but it's looking better these days. If Solana's tooth stays weird-colored until it falls out, the good news is that that can happen anytime between ages 5-7. I used to work in an orthodontist office and that was about average. It's a wide range, but something to aim for. Kinley is barely 7 and has lost 8 teeth. Ok, so 3 of them were pulled by the dentist, but still... She lost 4 by the time she was 6.
Well, PHEW. Your week has made me very tired just to read about it :)