Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dangit Dangit Dangit!!!

A few hours after discussing the delay on Chloe's eye I received a call from the Pediatrician's office. The nurse informed me that our Ped received the Swallow Study report and that she recommends we continue thickening Chloe's milk.

Um. No. I helpfully informed her that Chloe was already released from thickener by the Speech Therapist at the hospital.

She went to talk to the doctor and came back. Well, the doctor is not comfortable with the fact that there were 5 (slight) penetrations during the swallow study and she'd worry about aspirations (breathing the milk into her lungs) if we quit the thickener too soon. I argue that Chloe had to wait an extra hour to eat and was STARVING - eating with atypical ferocity - during the study. Plus, the speech therapist and radiologist noted that the penetrations were mild and came right back out (I'm practically begging them to see reason here...).

She talks to the doctor again and comes back. The doctor said that "if it were HER daughter she wouldn't take the risk of her aspirating and getting pnuemonia."

Well...shit. She played the Wild Card. Like I'm going to argue with that...

So we're back on thickener. It's really not a big deal once I got over the initial disappointment. In fact, I felt kind of silly arguing it with them. But... I did negotiate one breastfeeding per day (with extreme caution) so that's a good thing.

We THOUGHT we were on a roll this week. I can hear some obnoxious junior high voice in the back of my head yelling, "PSYYYCH!" Punk.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Cyndi, so sorry about all of it. Yuck. I HATE it when they pull the "if she were my child" card. Our feeding therapist used it this week "if she were my daughter I would ask for a second opinion." At that point, how do you ignore the advice. Ugh ugh ugh. Hang in there, it WILL ease up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Mel. And you. That card is infuriating and so loaded. The intrusion just never ends, does it?

    How long does your ped plan to have her on the thickener?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that! It seems like that's the road we walk... It's like being in line at Disney World, and you think you're almost to the ride, and then you turn the corner and realize you still have a long, long way to go. And I guess I'll agree with the "bad guy" here, only because I spent so many days pushing and pushing and pushing for things to be "normal," and then having to look back when Dax couldn't handle it and wonder if I did the right thing or if I pushed it too soon. I'm just so happy for you guys that things are moving so well, and in the right direction, even if it's slow! Miss Chloe is an amazing little woman, and so is her mama!

    ReplyDelete