Saturday, March 20, 2010

No Vitrectomy, Cataract

The trip to Michigan went smoothly. Dave and I drove Chloe up on Thursday afternoon and spent the night at the Westin. They gave us a really good hospital rate of $72 so we were pretty happy with that. It was only 15 minutes from the hospital - pretty convenient. We had to be at the hospital at 8am for Chloe's 9:30 EUA (Examination Under Anesthesia). Chloe had the same Anesthesiologist as the first time. I drilled him about the anesthesia for about 15 minutes making sure I knew exactly what he planned to do under every possible circumstance and telling him every scap of information that I thought might be important to him. I was NOT going to have another surprise propofal "incident."** We then met with the surgeon. We've been patching Chloe's eyes to try and avoid lazy eye. He discusses with us the different schools of thought regarding this. Some doctors think there's a problem after 6 weeks of clouded vision and some after 9 weeks of clouded vision. We believe Chloe's had clouded vision for about 5 weeks so that comforted us a bit. He would go in for the examination and then come back to talk to us before beginning any procedure.

He returned with surprising news. After four weeks of retinologist visits and another week waiting for our appointment in Michigan, the blood is gone from Chloe's left eye. She does not need a vitrectomy. What a shock! Surprise! Great! Then he went on to explain that Chloe has a cataract that is clouding her vision. What a shock...surprise...not-so-great. She'll need surgery to correct the cataract but he doesn't do that surgery. We'll need to work with Chloe's opthamologist to get that correct.

So we find ourselves headed back to Dayton much more quickly than expected. I feel pressured to figure this out right away. We cancelled Chloe's Wednesday Synagis appointment because of Friday's anesthesia. It's now scheduled for this coming Monday afternoon. I'm worried, though, that Monday's synagis shot could delay possible cataract surgery by a few weeks I don't want to get the shot and then have them say, "Oh, we wish you'd told us about that shot. We could have gotten Chloe in for surgery tomorrow but now she has to wait two more weeks...". Unfortunately, the opthamologist was out of the office Friday. I spoke to his Technician and she said she'd try to get ahold of him at home but I never heard back. I know that putting off her Synagis shot is bad (this is her RSV preventative) but, if they can get her in for cataract surgery right away, I think I'd rather put off her Synagis another couple days and get the surgery. Of course, I have no idea what kind of timeline they can give me for surgery... I'll be burning up the phone lines right away Monday morning and in suspense until then. Any words of experience or advise would be much appreciated here! How bad is it to put off her shot another few days?

Until then we continue patching Chloe's eye and wait.

**He assured me that he would NOT use propofal for either the examination or the procedure (if they chose to do the vitrectomy) on Chloe and noted that it wouldn't even be a good choice for her case. Why they used it for her second EUA last time, he could not explain to me - I didn't dwell, though.

6 comments:

  1. Sending prayers your way. If you need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping and praying for no vitrectomy. Yay! In the grand scheme of things, cataract surgery is so much simpler, and less risky. I hope you can schedule it soon, Synagis or not. So glad you guys are back. How did Chloe handle all the changes? I bet Solana is happy to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chloe's mom! I have been following your blog for quite a while (soon after Chloe was born) - I am a mother of a 23 5/7 week baby boy - Aidan Paul. He is now 16 months old and a pistol! I also happen to be an adult ICU nurse and just wanted to comment on the Synagis/surgery. I wouldn't postpone the Synagis shot. The shot is optimally giving 28 days apart with a 5 day window - the live antibodies stay in Chloe's body all month and then start to die off after 30 days or so...so she theoretically has the live antibodies all winter long. Therefore, I doubt that giving her the shot would have any effect on her being able to get surgery - also, I couldn't find any interactions between surgery/anesthesia/RSV in the literature - I also know that they get the shot even if they are a bit sick (unlike immunizations)...so I'm not a pediatric doc but I just thought I would weigh in...I know how worried I get about Aidan, thinking in circles and about to burst until the docs call back...good luck. I wish you and your family the best! Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I got so excited about evading the vitrectromy! Just to start worrying afresh about the cataract. Dang, Cyndi. One more opportunity for this little miracle to show us what she's made of. I hope you were able to make some headway today on the phones. Fingers crossed. Toes crossed, and most importantly prayers for you all comin' your way.♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippe!...No vitrectromy is such good news!...isnt it odd how ur trips to Michigan never result in a surgery?...If only Ayden would be so lucky!...He will need to get his cateract taken care of soon too but they are waiting for his to form more...Do you take her to the Blooms?...Miss u guys!...hopefully we run into each other soon!...I saw the pic of u guys on the "wall of graduates"... <3 u!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky - thank you for your advise! That gave me the starting information I was looking for. I finally got hold of someone at the Synagis clinic and they confirmed your belief that the Synagis shot has no interaction with other drugs (including anesthesia). Thank you for the note!!!

    ReplyDelete