Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chloe's First Baby Food

They used to recommend solids at age 6 months. That was way back when Solana was a baby. Did you know that they've upped it to 4-6 months? Seems so young to me! Anyway, Chloe is 6 months adjusted (and almost 10 months since birth) so we've been talking about it. We notice her mouth going crazy any time we eat good smelling foods around her, especially chocolate and popcorn. I've stopped eating those near her because I feel so bad! Her little tongue sticks out and moves all around and drool just starts pouring down her chin. That's probably not a sign at all that she's ready for food but it sure got us thinking about it! One of my concerns was the fact that she's not sitting up, yet. But after chatting with my neighbor (who has an 8 month-old) I decided to borrow their baby recliner because it sits up a little more than Chloe's Baby Papasan. Then came the question about what to feed her. I decided on...get this...Prunes. A bit unconventional for a first food. I know. But Chloe tends to get stopped up - probably because of her super caloric breast milk/Neosure concoction so I've been giving her prune juice pretty much since we brought her home. Then I started using prune baby food to counteract the banana that I used in her frozen milk. I know that she can digest it and there's no allergy issue. Anyway, here's a little photo story board of her first eating experience:

"I'm in a new chair and in a different spot...patiently waiting to see what's going to happen."
"Hmmm. What's this?"
Tried and true method for exploring new things. "I'll just lick it to find out."

"I think I like it but I need to think about it a bit more. Maybe if I move my tongue all around that will tell me something."

Sissy's turn! (Solana was about to crawl out of her skin with impatience. She couldn't wait to feed her baby sister!)
"Yes, I oficially like this. Now please gimme dat!"

"Aaaahhhmmm gettin' the hang of this..."
I think we can call Chloe's first baby food "a success!"

A. Big. Success.

NNow I don't want to feed her prunes every day so I need to switch to something less...um...effective. Rice cereal stopped up Solana so I'm nervous about that. Oatmeal, maybe? Suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. So cute!!! I'm glad she liked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave Ava the Gerber Organic Oatmeal (she also has an issue with getting "stopped" up) and she did GREAT on it. She still expects a bowl before bed. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great! Four months does seem young, but I am counting down the next month until I can try something with Zoe. Maybe it will help satisfy her and she wont want to nurse every 2 hours! The rice cereal supposedly stops them up (according to our nutritionist), but the oatmeal does not. Rhys still gets regular adult oatmeal twice a day since that is one of the only things he'll eat and it hasn't aggravated his already stopped up stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWWWW!! I LOVE the pictures!!! What a big girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 months seems really young. From what I've read, it's still 6 months minimum, and being a premie, I'd say, even longer.

    We started at 10 months (EBF), and started with mushed up avacado, then some sweet potato pureed and then some butternut squash pureed. Never did the rice cereal...saw no real nutritional value of it.

    ReplyDelete