Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Vitrectomy today

Chloe just had her vitrectomy. The doctor said the surgery went well. He tried to remove enough so that the film doesn't grow back but he said it's frustrating with little ones because it often grows back on them (as opposed to adults where it does not) requiring future surgeries. I'm glad the surgery went well but a little disheartened about her future vision outlook. He said that kids with this problem can usually only see the big E on the eye chart - and that's only if we continue with the patching and contact lens use.

Deep breath. Don't worry about what's to come. Just do what you can for now.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry it wasn't a great report. I always thought that once we got out of the NICU that the worst was over... But then it almost seems like the whammies out of nowhere can be even tougher. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Chloe's prescription strength?? I once had a doctor tell me that my son would not be able to swim and drive because of his poor vision! He was six months old at the time, which pissed me off, how can you tell that far down the road!? I am a firm believer in dealing with the truth-I don't want it to be sugarcoated-but come on, people with NO vision do go swimming. Will has nystagmus, strabismus, and farsightedness from PVL. And he does go swimming BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. But you are right. You do what you can, one day at a time. That Chloe is a tough cookie. Wonder where she gets it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's stinky news, especially when the details are so uncertain. GAH. I'm hoping that at least her vision can be corrected with glasses? Sorry, I can talk endlessly about bowel perforations, but I'm still a little weak on eyes (no pun intended...)

    ReplyDelete