Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Update

EYE

Surgery went well last week. We go back tomorrow for a check-up. I've been giving Chloe two different eye drops four times a day. One to prevent infection and one to reduce pressure in her eye. I fancied myself a talented eye dropper the first three days. I got Chloe to open her eyes nice and wide by waving musical toys above her head and quickly snuck the drops in before she even knew what was happening. No longer am I smarter than the baby. She caught on to me. At least I went three days without having to pry her eye open. It's not as bad as I feared, though. Chloe's fairly tolerant of me and puts up with a lot of crap - even gives me a smile here and there... She seems to be doing fine and her eye looks good. I can still see where they cut on her eyeball and that's kind of freaky but they gave us a hard shield-type eye patch to keep over her eye as protection. Unfortunately, she's really really good at grabbing and ripping it off so she's been swaddled and/or mittenized all week. Even then I've stepped away only to retun and find her eye patch off and both hands vigorously rubbing at her eye on a couple of ocassions. Little stinker.



MILK

After consulting four different lactation consultants and several webites and lay persons I've come to the conclusion that high lipase milk isn't all THAT uncommon. There's no study proving that the frozen stuff is safe for babies but everyone agrees that it probably is. So I'm still giving it to Chloe - at the rate of two bottles per day. She's still taking it fine and doesn't seem to be having any side effects. Fingers crossed that she continues to take it! I'm happy with my three to four pumpings per day schedule and my production is holding steady at a respectable, if not impressive, 15-18oz per day. If I can keep that up and supplement with 2 bottles from the deep freezer I'm golden for the next few months.



BLOG

On a side note, I'm seriously considering stopping the blog. As I've mentioned many times, writing is not my talent (although I'm not sure what my talent is.. ;-) and I just don't have time for it these days. It's almost midnight now and I'm only staying up in order to write this. Seriously, though, it takes like an hour to write one entry. And if I proof-read it three times to make it a smooth read then maybe an hour and a half. And now that Chloe's out of the hospital I really don't have all that much to report on a daily basis. I really love the idea of documenting important and fun family information, though. It seems like a great tool for when I finally start scrap-booking again. Plus, we live away from our family and it's a great way to keep my mom, sister, and SIL up-to-date on our goings on. I'm thinking of just starting a family blog for those two purposes but haven't decided for sure. Anyway, I wanted to mention this because I know that some kind souls out there have been following and praying for Chloe since she was born and feel a sense of...I don't know...obligation. (It somehow seems like it would be rude to just stop...) Decisions to come. In the meantime I give thanks for all the support, prayers, and friends I've received through blogging. It's been tremendous.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that everything is going good in your neck of the woods. Prayers for a great follow up appointment tomorrow.
    As far as quitting the blog goes - I understand. I've had lots of times where I thought I would quit. It can be very time consuming, and I'm a horrible writer. I now use my blog basically for out of town family. I mostly post pictures of the kids with a two sentence summary of what the pictures were about. Not nearly as time consuming, and my family can still "see" the kids pretty regularly. Do what is right for you. If you don't want to continue the blog then by all means I'll support you. I'll just bug you to email or facebook me pics of your cute girls. Love ya!

    BTW - I went down to Colo Spgs this past weekend. It was so different. Not nearly the same as when we lived there =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you stop whenever you want. Those of us who follow will continue to pray for Chloe and y'all, whenever God puts y'all on our hearts. It has been a blessing to pray and read and see her grow, and you too! I think the blog did it's job - let you vent, whine, lift praises and sort thru stuff. And we all had the priviledge of getting to know your precious baby girl, and you and family better. QUIT - get on with your life and taking care of your esposo and those darling babies. I'll check in w/ you via email from time to time. But ya gotta promise to send pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baby is lovely! Since my dear friend had a preemie recently, I have been researching the subject and read your blog. More power to you on your journey to raise your precious daughters. Your writing style is humerous and very mom-to-mom! But I understand about keeping up the blog while caring for your older daughter and special needs baby. Follow your heart.
    One thing I was thinking about the subject of breast milk, while my friend's son was in the NICU, the nurses told her to pump and freeze till he could take tube feedings. They also said not to store frozen milk for more than 3 months in a deep freeze. That the quality goes down. You were talking about using milk from September, 8 months ago. Maybe that is why it has an off taste. My friend is now using milk from feb/march with Neosure added. BTW, I TOTALLY get that you taste your baby's food! :-)
    Her baby was born with an imperforate anus and had a colostomy placed at 31 weeks, the day after he was born. They just did, at 10 weeks old, a surgery to create an anus. With his GI system problems, my friend learned to place an feeding tube when he needs it. So his breast milk and nutrition needs are monitored carefully. I will pass along the info about the lipase milk. see, you helped someone else! mom-to-mom! thanks, best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to chime in- quit! Don't feel guilty about being busy, it's part of being a mom :) The few moments you have to yourself should be spent relaxing. Chloe will be in our thoughts with or without a blog.

    On a side note, as far as storing breast milk, it can be stored up to 12 months as long as it is kept at -0.4F - -4F, since it is in a deep freezer, Cyndi is well within the requirements. The 3 month requirement applies to being stored in a fridge/freezer combo NOT a deep freezer. I'm not sure where the nurses got their info from, but every lactation consultant I have spoken with (and I talked with a lot since we have been breastfeeding for a year) have told me the same info. Also, if you use Lansinoh storage products, they repeat the same information on EVERY storage bag. I don't think it was an issue of how the milk was being stored, but more likely the lipase content. Just wanted to pass along what I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can run, but you can't hide... I have OTHER ways to stalk you now... insert maniacal giggle here....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww. You all are so sweet! Thanks for your messages! And Megan- you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I haven't commented sooner. Life's more than a little crazy :-) If writing feels like just another chore, by all means quit. But don't expect us to quit following up on little Miss Chloe. I know, no news is good news, but you know in their case every day is a miracle. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Id hate to see you go but I cant say that I havnt thought about quitting it all as well. If you do quit writing you have to keep in touch!...Our lil boogers will have to meet again u know!...I have called you to get an update but I know its hard to settle down enough to talk on the phone...Please keep in touch girlie...miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete