Monday, April 5, 2010

Update

We went to Cincinnatti last Wednesday to have Chloe's eyes examined. The doctor agreed that she should have surgery to remove the cataract. He said there's still a tiny bit of blood and that he could also remove the vitreous (gel in her eye) and the blood would come out with the gel. But he recommends removing the cataract and leaving the small amount of blood behind to go away on its own. Her history of vitreous blood disippating on its own leads me to agree with this. No unnecessary surgery - thank you very much.


He does surgery the 2nd and fourth Wednesday of every month so she'll have it in a week and a half. This guy seems good. Kind of a jerk but that seems to be the norm these days. I'm not sure but I think all the good doctors have been watching 'House' lately and think it's cool to be impolite. Whatever. If he can fix Chloe's eye I'll be happy.


I didn't know this but removal of the cataract means removal of her lens. How can she see without a lens you may ask. She can't. She'll need to be fitted with a hard contact lens. Yep. That's right. I'll be placing a contact lens onto my infant daughter's eyeball so she can see. I don't know the details of this but I can only imagine. As much of a fit as Chloe throws when I put her patch on I'm sure the insertion of a contact lens will be a lovely calm process every day. HAHA..HA..Ha......ha....Sigh. We'll see how that goes. Until I talk to an opthamologist I won't really know the practical details. This will only last through elementary school, though. Toward the end of her elementary school days (that's when her eyes are done growing - for the most part) she'll be able to have a surgery to implant an artificial lens into her eye.


Now I'm off to call the opthamologist. I'm going to call a new one, though, because I'm not super duper pleased with her local one. I'm thinking the one at the Children's hospital (who also cares for one of the neonatologists at Chloe's birth hospital and my high risk OB's daughter) might be a good bet. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. Wow, that is interesting. I had NO idea on that whole lens thing. That's going to be... tricky.

    ReplyDelete