Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Week 2 at Home

Hi everyone! As you can probably imagine I'm slightly busy these days. Plus, I think I'm too old for feedings every three hours. Chloe has been really restless and makes weird gagging/choking sounds all night long. (They told us in the NICU that she probably has mild refulx since most preemies do.) Those, and her kicking legs/beeping pulse-ox, have me at her bedside (which is 1 foot from my bedside, by the way) at least 3 times every hour throughout the night. I half-consciously declared, "Just one hour of uninterrupted sleep. That's all I ask!" when Dave walked out of the bathroom this morning. I opened my eyes and thought, "Did I really say that out loud?" Haha! Kind of funny, if you picture it.


She's doing really well, by the way. She's eating like a champ and is up to 6lb 9.5oz! This is tremendous weight gain in my opinion. The pediatrician called it "not bad" this morning and even stuck with her "not bad" assessment after I asked if "not bad" really means "good." Oh well. She's kicking butt in my eyes, anyway :-D


We met with the Help Me Grow lady this week. She did a little assessment of her own and declared that Chloe is not too far behind her adjusted age of almost two months. (She'll hook us up with the Early Intervention folks who will assign us a teacher. This "teacher" will come to our house and help us with different therapies to keep Chloe on track.) It's difficult to judge, though, since many of the tests are based on vision and we really don't know how much she can see. I don't think she looks at me nearly as much as she should. Instead, she stares at lights. Dave is sure that she was watching Solana this morning. Who knows.

Solana's still a great big sister. We've reigned in the "acting out." Honestly, she really wasn't that bad. She just wasn't doing stuff we told her a lot of the time. The one that's acting out, though, is our house. That's right. Our house is jealous of Chloe. Since Chloe's been home we've:
-replaced the furnace
-replaced the garage door opener
-had the trees trimmed
-replaced the open/close mechanism in our chimney.
While this has cost a lot more money than we planned on spending this month and we've said, "are you flippin' kidding me?" more than once we also can't complain. We have credit cards to pay for this stuff. We own a great house and, for that reason, occasionally need to do maintenance. I just hope our house gets over itself sooner rather than later...

And one more thing to be thankful for. My pink eye last week. Yep. I got pink eye. I guess freakishly over-washing of hands does not prevent pink eye. No longer will I think of it as a sickness for toddlers and pre-schoolers who don't know how to wipe their behinds (eye-rolling). By some amazing fortune I didn't pass it on to either of the girls and it cleared up in just three days. Thank God!

Definitely not a quiet week in the Hendrickson household! But we love drama around here. :-)

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you have a lot going on...happy chaos though right?...I have heard tremendous things about the people with Help Me Grow and we anticipate on working with them as well...what all are they saying about her development...PT & OT keep telling us that there are not any milestone to mention at 2 months but I have read otherwise...Im glad she is on track tho!...Meanwhile Ayden is now the oldest in the NICU and is beginning to roar like the rest...hes begining to be high maintenance like Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to tell you, but not listening isn't acting out...it's called being 4 1/2! :) Cause we've got that problem over here too.

    ReplyDelete