I think I need to clarify something about my last nursing post. It's pretty cool that so many people are so excited about the fact that Chloe might get to nurse. You'd kind of expect most people to say, "So what? A bottle is just as good. Why don't you just get over it?" I know a bottle is fine but I feel like being greedy. Chloe's probably my last chance at nursing. I blew it with Solana by giving up too quickly. I was young (a mere whipper snapper at 30) and took it personally, I think, that she didn't like my milk makers. I cried many times trying to latch Solana and couldn't get over myself enough to revisit the idea once I'd given up. Of course now I am 5 years older and much more matuuuure.
Now that I might possibly have a chance with Chloe I'm going to give it every opportunity to happen that I can (reasonably) give.
I think I may have misled in my last post, though. A few friends have asked how the nursing is going, or if I'm nursing exclusively now, etc. Unfortunately, we're not nursing. Chloe needs thickener so that she won't aspirate her milk and milk in the lungs is not something I'm willing to risk for the sake of nursing. We'll go back for another "feeding study" in March to reevaluate her feeding. I believe they'll feed her barium again and watch it with x-rays to see if it goes down "the right way" or not. Until then I'll just have faith that she's talented enough to remember how to nurse and perhaps throw in some "dry runs" for practice.
Thank you for all your support. In many ways this seems trivial considering everything else she's been though. But it would also be really nice to have this one bit of normalcy in her otherwise crazy first year :-)
Friday, February 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I TOTALLY get that. I nursed Lucy but produced very little milk. She latched great but got frustrated in seconds. With Daphne and her heart defect, we didn't even try. I pumped for 5 months but my supply was pathetic. I say give it a shot with Chloe, even if it's just a couple times a day for practice or soothing.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great that you are so determined to give Chloe the best nutrition possible- be it by nursing or from breastmilk with thickener.
ReplyDeleteNursing is tough! I had a hard time with it for the first 4 months, and now that Ava is 8 months I'm so glad I was able to work through it. I had some AMAZING lactation consultants that helped me out. I could not have done it with out them. You are doing such an amazing job and are a great mother!
If you ever need some moral support, you know how to find me!