I actually posted the two week post a couple of days ago. But I wrote and posted the entry hastily and while distracted. After re-reading it a few hours later I didn't like the unintentional tone. I sounded like a whiney complainer and TOTALLY didn't mean to sound that way. I mean, I surely don't feel that way. I have nothing to complain about! And plus, I try to avoid unproductive complaining. It's pointless and ugly. Appreciating the irony of life - good and sometimes funny. Complaining and letting it bring me down - bad.
Anyway, I told a story in my first deleted post that I completely forgot to share. And I think it's a good one :-)
So, I've definitely figured out why the NICU ladies called Chloe and Princess (some called her 'Queen' and one even affectionately called her 'evil'). She...um..cries a lot. And by "a lot" I mean that she pretty much cries ALL THE TIME. Unless, that is, she's being properly entertained. Entertained with a bottle, by changing her diaper, definitely NOT by laying her down, but rather, usually while in my arms and with me in a standing/bouncing position. Dave sometimes makes fun of me and pretends that Chloe is telling me, "Dance Monkey!" while I'm bouncing her. It's funny but in a "You're so funny I'm about to bop you in the head" kind of way. ;-) I just hope that I'm getting a good thigh workout with all this bouncing and am not just screwing up my knees!
Ok. Here's the story. Chloe was crying the other night and Dave and I were trying all our tricks to figure out what she wanted. She had just eaten an hour previous so we didn't think she was hungry until she turned her head in a rooting motion toward me. Dave went to get a bottle but her crying escalated and I couldn't wait for him. I flipped my shirt up and litle Miss Chloe latched on and begain nursing like there was no tomorrow. I couldn't believe it!
You may have noticed that I stopped talking about nursing back in December when Chloe got sick? That's because nursing effectively ended when she went NPO (no feedings by mouth) and was put on an IV drip. Once she started eating again they put her on thickener and I was so desperate for her to conquer the bottle that I didn't want to rock the boat and never tried nursing again. The lactation consultant told me to practice non-nutritive sucking at home but...no time. I've now gone from pumping 8 times per day to 4 times and have played with the idea of quitting all together. Our deep freezer is almost out of room. But now I don't know. What if nursing could really be in our future?!? How cool would that be?
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I am SO happy to read this. Pumping bites. There's nothing pleasant or positive about - well, other than being able to give your baby breast milk. I hope Chloe gets into it. It would be really good for her facial muscles (as you know we're having some trouble with that) and would make your life SO much easier. Yay. My fingers are crossed tightly.
ReplyDeleteThis would be VERY VERY cool!! Keep nursing, little fishie!!
ReplyDeletePumping does bite. Then again.... so does nursing, LOL! Get it? Bite??
That would be too cool. My sis is a lactation consultant - she nursed 6 of her own, and helped many, many others. Maybe she could help, her email is: timandbarbmiller@sbcglobal.net, her name is Barb. I just emailed her about you, sharing the blog. Best of luck chica! And tell Chloe g'ma Bev is working on her blanket. I assume it'll be cold there awhile longer, huh? Bev
ReplyDeleteI pumped exclusively for SEVEN plus months! The only reason I did it that long was to help Rhys. It is the biggest pain in the butt to have to clean and sterilize everything 8 times a day. I eventually got to where I pumped every three hours during the day, but slept through the night so my milk production was good, but not what it had been when I was doing it properly. Anyway, I am hoping for better luck this time around because there is no way I can pump like that and stay home with two babies. Pumping is a full time job in and of itself. Good luck on the nursing!!
ReplyDeleteYou are truely blessed to be able to create so much for her...I only was able to produce for a month before it stopped and even during that month there wasnt much to speak of...If it wasnt for the donor breastmilk who knows what would have happened....That is great she is becoming interested in nursing...that seems like it would take away much more stress...good luck girlie...keep on goin Chloe!
ReplyDeleteGreat job, Chloe! Keep trying and she will be a champ in no time! I'm sure she is keeping you on your toes, but try and take some time for yourself if you can. I'm so glad everything is working out for your family.
ReplyDeleteI can actually weigh in on this...I have experience with exclusive pumping...totally sucks but I am way to cheap (yup it really was about the $ and not about 'the best for babe') to buy formula. I pumped for my first for 7.5 months and had so much that he was on breastmilk till he was 11 months. #2 did fine with breastfeeding. Cameron was actually my best nurser...even being a preemie. However, gaining weight was a huge issue with him so we used fortified expressed milk for months and months...and I kept pumping so my milk supply wouldn't drop off. I only pumped every 6 hours with #1 and only the feeds I bottle fed the fortified milk with Cameron but it was still a huge pain!
ReplyDeleteI am sure that Chloe can do this....she's such an amazing little girl and she'll master this too!!!
Has Chloe been nursing more? Anxious to hear how it is going.
ReplyDelete