Thursday, November 11, 2010

Physical Therapy

Chloe gets physical therapy twice a month through a state program called Help Me Grow. It's a free social program for which I am VERY thankful. They come to our house, which is wonderful! She has a case worker and early intervention specialist who follow her. We make 6 month goals and work toward them with a PT, Occupational Therapist, and Speech Therapist. Chloe's team is exceptional and I love having them!


Thanks in part to this team, Chloe is finally a sitter. She can sit for unlimited periods of time playing with books, blocks, you name it (Bluebell even shares her toys if I'm not looking - blech!) And that celebration lasted a whole day...


So now we're working on crawling. Our first real crawling visit with the PT came on a day when Chloe's case worker happened to be visiting. The case worker was asking me lots of questions and trying to come up with new goals, so my attention was drawn away from the PT. She showed me briefly what she was doing with Chloe but I didn't get the hands-on instruction that I normally get for new exercises. The following three days kind of sucked. I just couldn't quite get Chloe to do what I wanted her to do. (She's a smart little turkey and quickly learns how to wiggle out of unappealing positions.) After ending several sessions with me soaked in sweat and Chloe laughing at my incompetence I broke down and called the PT. Within 30 minutes she was back at our house going over the exercises in greater detail.


Now, this is my only experience with a PT but I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's a good one! And she's never once told Chloe to "stop crying!" (That comment's for my friend, Mel.) ;-)


Our goals for now are to improve Chloe's strength between her shoulders and on her hips. Muscles used for crawling. After three days of sucessful exercises Chloe can do this....


1 comment:

  1. You are funny. Believe it or not, just yesterday I saw that I still had the phone number for "stop crying" OT in my phone. I couldn't delete it fast enough! Daphne LOVES her current PT and OT.
    Chloe is doing so great! Go, Chloe, go!

    ReplyDelete