This post isn't the usual Chloe post. It's more about me and it's probably not going to be super upbeat....just to warn you.
I've followed a few micro-preemie/single-survivor-twin blogs since Chloe was born. They've been SUCH a blessing! I was armed with knowledge during Chloe's NICU stay and knew the right questions to ask and expected some things that would have otherwise surprised me. Of course, there were still plenty of shockers and plenty of times when this non-medical mom struggled to grasp exactly what was going on with Chloe's little body. And it didn't end in the NICU. There are still plenty of struggles that Chloe shares with her little buddies. I eagerly read my friends' blogs to learn new tips and techniques and understand struggles that may (or may not) be forthcoming for Chloe.
So with all this experience to guide me I knew what was coming for me. I knew this time of the year would be difficult. But I had time to prepare myself. I was rocking Chloe the first time I started traveling back to last year. And it occurred to me that my pregnancy planner was somewhere in my room or Chloe's room. (This book had a weekly planner where I kept doctor's appointments and noted any and all important information. At the beginning of the pregnancy I marked the pregnancy test date, my weight and measurements, exercise routine, diet/cravings, pregnancy symptoms, etc. Then I marked the date we found out we were having twins!, TTTS diagnosis, bedrest, Girls!, laser surgery, Leila's blood transfusion, Leila's passing.) I decided that day, sitting in the glider with Chloe snoozing in my arms, that I would NOT look for the planner. Knowing exactly what was going on last year would just be too much for me. Then I had a little conversation with Leila about how much I love her and that she should know just how much I miss her even if I don't fall into despair reminiscing last year.
I'm certain I cried more during the last two months of pregnancy than the whole rest of my life combined. Those two months were pretty much a constant flow of fear, surgery, more fear, more surgery, loss, and sorrow. Even the happy memories, like kicks and ultrasounds, bring tears. So, what happened after I made the decision to avoid the planner? I've done pretty well, I must say. I think about the planner about once a day and force the thought aside. It's easier since the only date I remember for sure is Leila's angel day. I could probably calculate the other dates but it's easy to not do that. Thank God I haven't run across that planner!
I cry periodically, yes, but that's usually brief. Last night was my first really big cry. I came across some ultrasound pictures while cleaning out Chloe's room and decided to put Leila's pictures in her memory box. I can't ever touch her memory box without opening it up and looking at the photographs we took of her or touching her little blanket and outfits that she wore in the hospital. Fortunately, the girls were asleep and Dave was home. He gives really good hugs and his heart beats loudly so I just snuggled in his chest for a while and that felt lovely.
Oooh. I know I can make it through the next month and a half without falling to pieces. I'm doing SO well! If you're so inclined please feel free to send some good energy my way. I just might find a good use for it.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I can see where Chloe gets her strength :-) You are amazing. These moments come and go, and sometimes catch you by surprise. Sometimes it's the time of the year, others it's seeing a pair of identical twins. It sucks. There's no sugarcoating it. I have these little conversations with Leah too. There's really not a day when I don't think of her. Big hug to you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteBig hugs! Melissa's right... The moments sneak up on me, too, and sometimes I just let myself wallow around in it for a while before I pick the pieces up and get back to life. I was in Target for my first major post-the-initial-trauma breakdown, looking for clothes for Christmas for my neice who was wearing the same size my Aubrie would have been wearing... And I'm sure the Target folks thought I was crazy, but I just let myself look at clothes and cry a while, and talked to her about how much prettier girl clothes are than boy clothes...
ReplyDeleteAnd I felt better.
I think our angels are listening, and I think know when to bring us comfort.
Hang in there girl!
"I Love You,Mija!"
ReplyDeleteYou are so strong... so easy to see where Chloe gets it is right. You know I have struggled...I'm too vocal about it. But I'm getting there and avoiding those things like the planner... a great idea as sometimes those are the things to really send us spiraling.
ReplyDeleteKnow, too, the Leila knows just how amazing you and her sister are...and just how amazing she is too. There sure is a whole group of amazing little angels up there.
Hugs to you!
Oh, Cyndi....
ReplyDeleteThat time of year. Sigh.
So sorry. So SO so sorry.
I'll let you know how my second anniversary goes this coming November, but I probably don't need to remind you of how last year went. Eesh!
Honestly, I almost felt like their first birthday was worse than the original insult of the loss. I had the loss to deal with, but I also didn't have any of the shock, denial, numbness of the moment to soften the blow. Add to that, you also now have the anxiety of anticipation, knowing how the story ends. So... reality plus anticipation plus the fact that you're out of the initial grief-shock phase.
Rough times, my friend.
You know I love you and I'll be praying for you during these sketchy weeks. You ARE doing so well! Leila must be so proud of you for how gracefully you have walked this path these many months, how you continue to live to bring honor her brief life. She is truly blessed to have you as her mommy and one day she'll tell you so face to face.
Well, believe it or not...I have all of those dates you are avoiding in MY calendar. I know what's coming and what has passed. I've been praying for you.
ReplyDeleteI'll be there tomorrow and although my hugs probably aren't as strong as Dave's, and I have no idea how loudly my heart beats (plus, that's just weird from your sister)...I'll be there for you. I miss our little Leila, too.
I love you, Cynthia!
-L-
Cynthia,
ReplyDeleteIts ok to cry..I cry reading ure blogs at times also..but its a cleansing cry. Its ok to mourn and Leila knows how much you love her!! I cant begin to start saying that I understand the grief a mom has in losing a child and the daily strength that it takes to make it..not just for you but for your family. you will have hard days but Ive watch that angel giggle over and over on ure facebook page..if thats not God's spirit sent down from heaven to comfort you then I dnt know what is. Ure strength is amazing and ure energy to tackle each day is astounding.. You are not alone because there are so many that love you. Its ok to fear the unknown but know that crying does not make you weak but human. I follow your blog daily and I pray for you daily also. I can not put in words how honored I am that you allowed me to be in this journey with you. keep that beautiful smile going and God Bless you and your family!!
Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you. It's tough and it's okay to cry. The anniversary of Olivia and Logan's birth is tough on me. Birthdays are supposed to be joyous times and all I remember is the uncertainty and horror of that day. The anniversary of Logan's death knocks me to my knees each year. It doesn't get easier, just more familiar. Certain things will trigger all kinds of emotions. . .the hardest is seeing a set of twins. I hope you know that you are never alone, there are many of us out here continuing to pray for you. Leila would be very proud of her family! God Bless!
ReplyDelete